5 Tips To Travel With Pulmonary Fibrosis
Having pulmonary fibrosis has an impact on many aspects of life. A person may not be able to do as much walking, climb stairs so well, or just becomes tired easily. However, one can still enjoy life and the pleasures of it, such as going on vacations. Traveling requires a lot more forward planning with pulmonary fibrosis, and here are some tips on how to go about it:
1. If you have low oxygen levels, flying might cause some discomfort, and if this is the case you should consult with your doctor to undergo further tests to find out if flying might pose a problem.
2. If you require oxygen concentrators, it’s important to plan ahead to make sure everything’s ready for the flight. Talk to your airline so they can provide you with a TSA-approved portable oxygen concentrator (you’ll need to file a form which your doctor will need to sign), and make sure you have replacement batteries in case of a layover!
3. If you don’t require oxygen all the time it might be a little more complicated due to the insurance policies of flight companies. However, there is the option of renting a concentrator.
4. Patients who cannot fly may still travel by car, train, or even boat. If you’re going across mountains, turn up your oxygen flow until you find yourself at a lower altitude.
5. Make sure to always pack extra oxygen in case of any delays or longer trips. Nowadays there are concentrators that can work through car batteries, so if your travel plans involve longer trips, you might want to consider those.
Pulmonary Fibrosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.