Pulmonary Fibrosis Symptoms: Aching Joints and Muscles

Pulmonary fibrosis is a chronic lung disease where tissue in the lungs becomes scarred and thickens. This leads to common symptoms such as a persistent cough, shortness of breath, weight loss, fatigue, and digital clubbing.

Explaining the clubbing of fingers and toes in pulmonary fibrosis

Many pulmonary fibrosis patients also suffer from aching joints and muscles. As the condition progresses, less and less oxygen is able to enter the blood stream. This means that less oxygen can get to the muscles and joints in the body and patients may start to experience aching and general pain.

In addition, some pulmonary fibrosis patients may also suffer from mercury-induced damage to the lungs. Mercury toxicity can also reside in the muscles causing pain.

There are medications to help pulmonary fibrosis patients better manage their symptoms, such as corticosteroids for inflammation and oxygen therapy. Doctors may recommend exercise to help strengthen the joints and muscles. Find out more about aching joints and muscles in pulmonary fibrosis here.

Find out more about the treatment options for pulmonary fibrosis

Pulmonary Fibrosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

1. Mary says:

I have a lot of swelling in my legs constantly. Saw a Ortho doctor and it isn’t my two knee replacements that I thought it was. I really don’t have pain but very sore when they are touched.

2. Marsha Spradlin says:

Flu-like aching coupled with strange chest pain and tiredness sabotage my day. I was once so active, healthy and successful. Since I am on disability I often fall into the trap of allowing the term “disabled” define who I am. Pain defines my day. Are my feelings unique?

• Brett says:

I was an Ironman triathlete with an amazing job. Now I can barely walk and my job is hanging by a thread all in the span of two years. My amazing sexy wife is now my caregiver. No, your feelings are not unique.

• Tracie says:

I can relate to what you are saying. And sabatoge is the perfect description. You know what I am trying to do is to be kind to myself in my thoughts and words. Give yourself permission to enjoy a book, or family, grandchildren… Etc. On those days you need a nap just take one and don’t waste a minute being upset about it. Do what you can, and let the rest slip by until another day.

3. Sara Hasbargen says:

I was told I have mild pulmonary fibrosis after having a CT scan. The nurse practitioner told me I would be fine as long as I don’t smoke ever again. I quit 2 years ago. I have not read anywhere that says this is the case…can anyone help me out with this?

• Tracie shollenbarger says:

See a pulmonary Dr and fire the nurse practitioner. This is progressive and was caused by something. Possibly a medication you took? Mine was caused by Amniodrone. It is also by unknown causes. Very serious and should be treated such.