Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Lung Transplantation Considerations When Facing Lung Transplantation for Patients with PF

• Considerations When Facing Lung Transplantation for Patients with PF

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 24, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Many patients with pulmonary fibrosis (PF) will be faced with considering a lung transplant as the only known “cure” (and I use this term loosely) to this life-threatening lung disease. The decision for choosing to pursue lung transplantation must be a carefully considered and well-educated one, as the road through a lung transplant is not easy.

My wish is that for all patients living with PF who want a lung transplant, could be considered for one but unfortunately there are very strict rules and eligibility criteria for a patient to be listed for any type of organ transplant. It breaks my heart when this criteria prevents a patient with PF from pursuing this life-saving option.

What is your experience with considering a lung transplant? Has it ever been presented to you as a treatment option, and if so, would you pursue it? Why or why not? 

If you haven’t read it already, Kim Frederickson who is another columnist for Pulmonary Fibrosis News recently wrote an article about her experience with lung transplant testing. It was a very interesting read for me, and I’d encourage you to check it out if transplant might be in your future:

https://pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com/2018/05/22/defeat-pf-must-undergo-extensive-testing-lung-transplant/

replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.