Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge The Importance of Staying Active with a Lung Disease

• The Importance of Staying Active with a Lung Disease

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 29, 2018 at 7:17 am

Hello Forum Members,

I just wanted to share this video with you from the British Lung Foundation regarding the importance of keeping active if you have a chronic lung condition.

This video was part of a social clip published on Pulmonary Fibrosis News in January 2018 but somehow I missed getting a chance to watch it. I’ve just done so, and found some of the tips helpful and wanted to share them with you.

The video features a patient with COPD who explains that although her lung disease does make things difficult, her doctor advised her to try and do as much as she possibly can — even if it takes her a long time, or two or three tries to achieve it.

Sixty-seven-year-old Margaret still takes walks on the beach regularly and enjoys gardening (her favorite pastime!). She has purchased special equipment to help her garden so she doesn’t need to bend over, which can cause breathing problems.

If you have concerns about exercising while living with pulmonary (PF), it is important to speak with your doctor regarding adaptations that might be able to be made to make exercise possible, despite your condition. 

If you do exercise on the regular, what types of exercises do you find manageable despite your lung disease?

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • terri-little

May 29, 2018 at 9:59 am

Hi Charlene,

I currently do chair yoga with a seniors group 2 times a week (I also try to do some of the moves at home/work, but could do better at that).  Yoga is so focused on breathing and being mindful of your breathe along with stretching, it’s something I found I can do without oxygen.

On a side note:  interestingly enough I never had a doctor encourage me to stay active, I think it was my own instinct of fight that said to do something.

Thank you for posting this – encouraging to go out and do more.

Terri

• Charlene Marshall

May 30, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Hi Terri,

Thanks so much for writing and sharing your experience with me. It’s nice to hear from you!

I have heard lots about the benefits of yoga when living with a lung disease, even if you use supplemental oxygen. I keep saying I need to try it, and just haven’t yet. I think not only might this benefit my breathing, and my body by doing some gentle exercise, I think it might also help clear my mind a bit as well. I find my brain very “full” these days and it would be nice to use yoga to help focus that a little bit. I really need to give it a try!

I’m glad you’ve found something that is helpful for you Terri, and I applaud you for keeping up with gentle exercise despite living with IPF!

Take care and wishing you nothing but the best.
      Charlene.

• sheila-blanchard

May 29, 2018 at 10:21 am

Hi Charlene, I am currently using a recumbent bike and a bit of walking. It’s not much but all I can do.I live with my daughter and we have air conditioning which helps otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do that.Thanks for letting me join the Forum, it gives me lots of information.  Sheila.

• sheila-blanchard

May 29, 2018 at 10:26 am

Hi Charlene, I am currently using a recumbent bike and a bit of walking. It’s not much but all I can do.I live with my daughter and we have air conditioning which helps otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do that.Thanks for letting me join the Forum, it gives me lots of information.  Sheila.(I can’t remember saying this before) maybe it’s my brain fog I find I have a hard time remembering.

• Charlene Marshall

May 30, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thanks so much for sharing your gentle exercise activities with me. Using a recumbent bike and walking sounds like excellent gentle exercises. I agree with you about the AC – I don’t think I’d be able to cope without it. Getting home into the cool air is truly my reprieve from the heat, and when I walk on my treadmill downstairs, I also rely on the air conditioning! Do you use your supplemental oxygen while exercising?

I am so glad that the forum is helpful for you and gives you some good information. Forum members have been so kind and supportive with one another, I’m so impressed. I’m also very glad to be part of the forums and this unique community. Glad you’re part of it with me Sheila 🙂

Take care,
      Charlene.

• sheila-blanchard

May 31, 2018 at 9:53 am

Hi Charlene, I was diagnosed with IPf over two years ago.I do some gentle exercises recumbent bike and walking, I am 79 years old.As yet I am not on oxygen my meter says anything from 84to92 .I see my pulmonary Dr. In two weeks we will see what happens then. I recently had a sleep apnea test done. I will get my results then.Thanks Charlene for listening to me .

• Charlene Marshall

May 31, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Hi Sheila,

Great to hear from you as always! It sounds like we were diagnosed around the same time. I was told I had IPF in April 2016.

Kudos to you for keeping up with your gentle exercises, including biking and walking. Sometimes it may not feel like much to us, but when doing these things with a lung disease; it definitely is important and not easy. Glad to hear you can manage to do this, and I hope your oxygen sats cooperate when you’re exercising. Be sure to note that sometimes they drop as low as 84 to your doctor, as this level can be troublesome to your other organs. Best of luck at your upcoming pulmonary doctor’s appointment, I hope it goes as well as possible for you! Will the sleep apnea results help determine if you need supplemental oxygen and/or CPAP at nighttime for sleeping?

Take care Sheila, and I look forward to chatting further.
    Charlene.