• Dealing with the Crippling Fear of a Possible Chest Infection

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 6, 2018 at 6:40 pm

As patients living with a chronic lung condition, such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), we’re acutely aware of the danger that can occur if we contract a serious lung or chest infection. This is what happened to me just over a year ago, which lead to an acute exacerbation, hospital admission and unfortunately some traumatic interventions as well. As a result, when I start to feel unwell earlier this week, the fear of a possible chest or lung infection can truly be crippling to me.

I am dealing with that right now as I woke up yesterday with a hoarse-sounding voice and productive cough that I can tell is coming from deep within my lungs. I also started a new steroid puffer last night, so I am hopeful that it is the puffer that is just breaking up possible congestion in my lungs and now allowing me to cough it up. The middle of my sternum is also sore, as is my back from rattled breathing and a deep cough, so the fear that I am coming down with something like I did last year is at the forefront of my mind.

I suppose one of the ways I could combat the fear is booking an appointment with my pulmonologist for him to examine my lungs proactively, however, it is unlikely I’ll be able to get in right away. I suppose I could also go to the ER for an urgent x-ray to check things out, although I am not certain if this qualifies for an emergency. I also don’t want to have the unnecessary exposure of hospital germs if I am already trying to fight something off.

In the meantime, I am working on mentally subduing my anxiety and fear of getting sick again and focusing on ways to help boost my immune system: vitamin C, lots of fluids, rest and eating well.

Have you ever experienced this crippling fear of developing a lung or bacterial infection since your IPF/PF diagnosis?

If so, how do you deal with that fear or are there things you do to proactively address it? 

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • cooper-p-abrams-iii

June 7, 2018 at 8:35 am

Go to the ER or pulmonist right away.  Nothing will be accompllish by waiting.  You do not want you lungs to get worse.   I hate going to doctors, but they can help.   I have had to go to the ER twice in past two months.   Glad i did.  I had prayer for you this morning.

• Charlene Marshall

June 7, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Hi Cooper,

Thanks so much for contributing your comments to this thread, and for your concern, I really do appreciate it. I just saw my pulmonologist yesterday and he did not like the sound of my lungs. I also just got back from doing a full panel of pulmonary function tests (PFTs) to see where my lungs are at. He does hear some “wheezing” and recognizes an increase in my shortness of breath right now, so he is a bit concerned as well. Until he can review my PFTs fully, he changed my puffers … increased dose on one, and added a whole new corticosteroid, which seems unusual – I don’t know a lot of other patients with IPF who are on as many inhalers as I am!

I suspect if this gets much worse I’ll land in the ER as well due to not feeling like I am breathe. Appreciate the prayers, and continue to hold hope that this is nothing serious. Perhaps it is just pollen or the poor air quality causing troubles for me right now? Glad going to the ER was helpful for you Cooper, and thanks again for writing.

Charlene.

• carole-ward

June 7, 2018 at 9:26 am

Cooper when you went to the ER how did that help?

• carole-ward

June 7, 2018 at 9:29 am

Charlene can you tell me about your chest infection? My chest is sore especially on my right side like under my breast and hurts slightly when I breathe in.  If you had this would you be concerned? I have never had anything like this in the 4 years I have had IPF and PH. Thanks.

Carole

• Charlene Marshall

June 7, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Hi Carole,

Thanks so much for writing, although I am so sorry to hear that you’re experiencing similar symptoms. It has not yet  been confirmed that I have a chest infection, I just saw the doctor yesterday and he did not like the sound of my lungs overall. He ordered update function tests, which I just completed so we will see what those say. The reason I fear that it is a chest infection is due to the ‘deepness’ of my cough and discomfort. I can only attribute that from coming deep down into my lungs. My puffers don’t seem to help and it is worse when I am either laying down or outside, so it could be the air quality here too (a lot of pollution and pollen in the air right now).

In terms of your symptoms, I think I would be concerned yes, especially if you’ve never had them before. Have you ever had fluid in either of your lungs? It sounds like it could be that, but I am certainly not a doctor so please don’t take my word for it. Something to ask about though. Is your breathing shallow (or with deep breathing in, is it painful)?

Just because our health can be so fragile when we’re unwell and turn bad quickly, I think with the symptoms you’re experiencing, if you’d had them more than 24 hours I’d likely call your doctor just to be safe.

Sending many prayers and best wishes to you that it is not something serious!

Kind regards,
      Charlene.

• cooper-p-abrams-iii

June 7, 2018 at 10:43 am

Carloe,

Yes.  They did a lot of tests and the prescribed an antibiotic.  In a little over two and a half weeks it cleared up.   Glad I went.  It was mildly painfull.  I think I caught it early.   I wish you well and pray you will get over this soon.

• Charlene Marshall

June 7, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Hi Cooper,

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. What did it end up being – some type of infection that had landed in your lungs? So glad it cleared up with your antibiotics!

Stay well,

Charlene.