Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Has anyone else seen a recent jump in the price of Esbriet?

• Has anyone else seen a recent jump in the price of Esbriet?

Posted by justme0956 on June 28, 2018 at 8:36 am

So my new journey is about to begin with my starting OFEV. What blows my mind is how the cost of 60 pills monthly is nearly the same price as the 270 pills on Esbriet. Crazy

I am hoping I see the same results as I did with the Esbriet. The ever increasing incidents of SOB is frustrating to say the best. Fingers crossed that I do not develop an allergy to the new stuff. If I do, then I am out of luck as this is the last of the meds I can take to slow down the progress of the IPF.

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Charlene Marshall

June 29, 2018 at 7:38 am

Hi Paula,

I was wondering how you were making out with the switch in anti-fibrotic medications, and whether or not you were going to start the OFEV. When do you begin taking it? This is the drug I am on, so perhaps I can be a little more helpful if needed than the Esbriet thread as I don’t have any experience with that medication. It is an expensive medication, I’m very thankful much of it is covered with Canadian healthcare, although I’m not sure how it works in the US.

I hope you see the same results on OFEV as you did on Esbriet as well! I didn’t have many side effects of the OFEV, so I hope that is also your experience as you’ve had your fair share of unpleasant side effects. SOB is extremely frustrating, I agree… I’m experience that right now, more than usual and am not entirely sure why. Thinking maybe it has something to do with the extreme heat we’re having.

Goodluck with the OFEV Paula. Do let me know how you make out, if you wouldn’t mind?

Will be thinking of you!
    Charlene.

• peppermom

June 30, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Hi Charlene,   I told you I would respond and let you know what my Dr. said when  I asked him if I could change to the ‘super pill’ as he called it – one pill containing the same power/potency as the 3 pills of Esbriet.  He said he did not know if it was available in Canada yet, so I suppose I’ll have to wait until he finds out and gets me on to it.  He feels my fibroisis is doing just what he felt it would do, so has signed me up for 6 more months on the same Esbriet. 9 pills a day.  That seems to be it for now. Same old, same old.  Am certainly enjoying more sitting outside this year as it hasn’t been really hot.

• Charlene Marshall

July 2, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Hi Joyce,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and following up with me on this. Good memory, and I appreciate your willingness to bring information back to the forums for the benefit of myself and other patients 🙂

Good to hear that he didn’t sound opposed to it by any means, more just reluctant because he didn’t know if it was available here yet. Sounds promising and definitely  more convenient for you in terms of medication management. Sounds like he has a good handle on the fibrosis, and that the Esbriet (regardless of number of pills taken per day) dosage is working well for you in your disease management. Hopefully you are still relatively side-effect free from this medication! Glad everything is going relatively well for you.

Happy Belated Canada Day to a fellow Canadian!

Not sure where you are in Canada, I believe you said near Winnipeg is that right? We’re getting slammed with such high humidity and hot temperatures here. The last two days have felt like 45 degrees celsius with the humidex. Definitely makes it tough to breathe, but summer is far too short so I don’t want to complain. Glad your weather is nice 🙂

Chat soon and take care,
    Charlene.

• david-collard

July 3, 2018 at 11:46 am

Hi Charlene, I told you I would respond and let you know what my Dr. said when I asked him if I could change to the ‘super pill’ as he called it – one pill containing the same power/potency as the 3 pills of Esbriet. He said he did not know if it was available in Canada yet, so I suppose I’ll have to wait until he finds out and gets me on to it. He feels my fibroisis is doing just what he felt it would do, so has signed me up for 6 more months on the same Esbriet. 9 pills a day. That seems to be it for now. Same old, same old. Am certainly enjoying more sitting outside this year as it hasn’t been really hot.

Hi Charlene – the ‘super pill’ is available in Canada – I was given the option the last time I ordered my prescription for Esbriet – I thought it better to stay with the 3 per meal as I can stage the pills over the meal versus having to take one big pill… plus no one can give me any benefits that are in the new super pill.

so why change – if anyone knows if there is a benefit with taking 3 pills a day versus 9, please let me know.
    thanks,
    Dave Collard

• Charlene Marshall

July 6, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Hi David,

Ah, thank you for getting in touch and letting me know these are available in Canada. I take OFEV, so I wouldn’t benefit or know the benefits of the 3 pills vs. 9/day but I hope others can answer this question for you. I would imagine other Canadians will benefit from your sharing that you’ve been offered the ‘super pill’ of Esbriet in Canada, thank you for sharing that information 🙂

Do you feel as though Esbriet is helping you David?

Cheers,
      Charlene.