Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults Measuring Productivity Differently as a Patient with Pulmonary Fibrosis

• Measuring Productivity Differently as a Patient with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 8, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Since publishing my latest column on measuring productivity differently as a patient with pulmonary fibrosis , I’ve heard from many other patients in the rare disease community that this reframe has been helpful to them. This is especially true in a time of turmoil, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic when just getting through the day can feel like a struggle. Reflecting back, what has happened over the past few months feels so surreal and aside from having COVID-19 myself, my ability to be productive and stay focused has suffered.

I wrote this column in an effort to remind myself that I don’t need to measure productivity the same way while living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) compared to when I was healthy. And, it is my hope that others remind themselves of this same message. There are many factors that may prevent our ability to be productive right now in addition to our health, such as the pandemic or the racial injustices taking place around the world. My advice to everyone is: reframe how to measure your own productivity and give yourself some grace and kindness. 

Have you found yourself more or less productive in the last several months? If less, what helps motivate you?

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Joan Thorkelson

June 9, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Having been in rehab 2 years ago, we were told what to do, how much to do etc.  When I left there after a month, I then realized I was going to have to keep my strength up which has been very difficult.  I do the stationary bike 3-4 times/week (about 10 miles).  I had always been active – gym 3-4 times/week and then nothing.  My husband motivates me but I still get depressed – my oxygen level is up and down but never in the 90’s – 84-89.

• Charlene Marshall

June 13, 2020 at 12:41 pm

Hi Joan,

Thanks for connecting and sharing your thoughts on this topic! It can be so hard to compare what we can do now, compared to what we used to be able to do, isn’t it? Like you, when I think too much about this I get quite depressed. Kudos to you for trying to remain active, that is certainly not easy with a lung disease like IPF. Proud of you for continuing to try!
    Hang in there,
    Charlene.