Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Mental Struggles of an IPF Patient.

• Mental Struggles of an IPF Patient.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on April 5, 2020 at 10:15 am

I wanted to reiterate how grateful I am for the compassion, support and knowledge that comes from all of the members of this forum. I know this is a safe and encouraging place to turn when I am struggling with something related to my idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) diagnosis.

One topic we’ve previously talked about is the brain fog associated with this cruel lung disease, or even the mental exhaustion it causes. Like many of you, I’ve been finding creative ways to connect with friends and family virtually, though Zoom meetings or Google Hang Outs. For the most part this has been a great option! However, I’ve learnt something about myself when participating in these virtual gatherings; I am a lot less tolerant to loud noise and overstimulating, excessive conversations. I don’t know how to describe the struggles I had with it, other than maybe I am too tired these days to try and track all the conversations or listen intently to everything being shared. Mentally I feel a lot less capable to engage in lengthy, loud or overstimulating conversations because my brain just gets tired and I lack focus as a result.

Have any of you also noticed this, or something similar, since your IPF diagnosis? If so, I’d love to hear if you’ve found anything that helps. We can’t avoid groups of people (once the COVID-19 chaos is over!), loud kids/people or the need to participate in stimulating conversation forever.

Share any tips you might have!

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.