• Your Preferences on Protein Bars/Shakes/Snacks

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 19, 2018 at 8:38 pm

For patients living with pulmonary fibrosis (PF), it is important to remain as healthy as possible at all times. This means taking precautions to avoid illnesses, such as wearing a mask, avoiding people who are sick and being diligent at regular hand hygiene. It also means eating a healthy, balanced diet but this isn’t always easy.

If you’re like me, sometimes you might struggle with side effects of different medications that suppress your appetite and make eating solid foods not appealing. I know in a previous forum topic, we’ve also talked about how much our appetites have changed since being diagnosed with PF for various reasons. My doctors have told me multiple times about the importance of still eating something with lots of nutrients in it, regardless of whether or not I want to. This is just one piece of the puzzle that will help keep me healthy and strong.

As a result of not always wanting to eat solid foods, I have gained an interest in exploring different types of protein bars and shakes. However, an important thing to note in these types of snacks is not only the calorie intake but the sugar content as well. Many of these “healthy” protein bars have a high sugar content, which can actually be counterproductive to the healthy snack you’re seeking. As a result, I wanted to ask this forum:

• Are you into protein shakes/bars/snacks as a supplement or alternative to solid foods when your appetite is off? 

• If so, which kind(s)/brands of protein products do you prefer? Do you find they keep you full or satisfied as a meal replacement/supplement? 

I’d love to hear your thoughts!
    Kind regards,
    Charlene.

karen-martin replied 3 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • patricia-dubose

May 13, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Hi Charlene

I’ve been having to supplement my husbands diet with 2 high calorie shakes a day just to keep his weight stable due to loss of appetite and because eating most solid foods in significant amounts is torture for him. He loves very high calorie Boost (530 kcal), only comes in vanilla. He drinks one in the morning with breakfast. When I get home from work I make a shake from the same high calorie boost, vanilla ice cream, berries, Greek yogurt or a little protein powder. He can always sip down a shake when he can’t muster the energy to chew

• patricia-dubose

May 13, 2020 at 4:09 pm

A lung transplant dietician we are consulting with told us about Scandishakes. It’s a high calorie powder that you mix with whole milk. I think they may be @600 kcals. My husband has only had the strawberry flavor , but he ADORES it. I’m ordering some online ( as I do the very  high calorie Boost). They’re both a bit pricy, so do price comparisons.

• Charlene Marshall

May 14, 2020 at 8:25 pm

@patriciadubose ,

Hi Patricia, thank you so much for sharing this with all of us, though so sorry to hear your husband’s appetite is lost, along with his fatigue when it comes to chewing. What an amazing caregiver you are to whip these up for him, and for them to be high calorie as he needs as well, so glad he enjoys them. My doctor’s always told me how important it is to give our body the “fuel we need to fight IPF” so I’m glad he has this option. Thanks for the for the information on the specific shakes as well! I’ll keep this in mind 🙂
    Charlene.

• karen-martin

May 15, 2020 at 10:06 am

Thanks for writing about this topic. I take Esbriet and had forgotten about the possible side effects on my appetite. Here I was thinking it was just me being tired of fixing food for just me! Although I am not dealing with weight loss (I wish!), there are many times when it is mealtime and I find that nothing appeals. Time to rethink my choices. This is a great help. Karen