Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Pulmonary Rehabilitation & IPF

• Pulmonary Rehabilitation & IPF

Posted by Charlene Marshall on February 26, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Many of you may know that I’ve been quite ill since early November, battling both pneumonia and influenza A. Within that same timeframe, I was dealing with strep throat and several viral infections as well, leaving me bed-bound for days. While I am no longer in the ‘acute’ phase of those illnesses, the chronic or long-term effects have been tough to accept. I am now working hard at getting well, and this week I reached a milestone in that recovery.

Due to getting so sick, my oxygen needs increased significantly and the use of my portable oxygen concentrator (POC) was no longer sufficient. This was devastating as I lost the independence to toss it over my shoulder and go about my day. Instead I was tethered to a large home concentrator, or had to be very proactive in the use of my tanks as they would run out a lot quicker than I was previously used to. With the help of intensive pulmonary rehabilitation and physical therapy throughout the past month, I’ve decreased my oxygen needs again and am back using my POC. I am very excited about this progress!

Pulmonary rehabilitation is a popular topic among our forum, and many members have written to Mark and I about the benefits it has. If you are considering a rehab program, please read THIS article and consider speaking with your physician about a referral to a rehabilitation program. You can also learn more about online pulmonary rehabilitation programs HERE.

How has pulmonary rehabilitation helped you as an IPF/PF patient?

Has it ever assisted you in your recovery from an acute illness or setback?

Mark Koziol replied 4 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Sara Tanner

February 27, 2020 at 7:42 pm

Oh my goodness! Pulmonary Rehab has been such a blessing with my husband’s IPF!! Gets him up & out the house three days a week. We are fortunate to have such a supportive and positive staff at our local hospital. He is up to almost 1 mile on treadmill & can tolerate stationery bike for almost 2o minutes! Medicare only pays for 36 weeks, but he can continue his same rehab regimen for $20 @ month after that.. 02 dependency has decreased significantly !!

• Mark Koziol

February 28, 2020 at 9:04 am

Hello Sara, I fully agree with you. I think participating in pulmonary rehab phase 2 and phase 3 is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Congrats to your husband and all the others who bettering themselves by staying active, Bravo. Mark