Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults The Importance of Rest & Relaxation as a Patient with IPF.

• The Importance of Rest & Relaxation as a Patient with IPF.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on August 2, 2019 at 7:33 pm

I talk a lot about how much this disease impacts the entire life of a patient, not just the physical implications of not being able to breathe. In the past I’ve even written about the emotional turmoil it can cause, and how that subsequently affects our ability to cope with day-to-day activities. I am learning to try and not let things bother me, but this is an ongoing learning process and one that is only slowly improving as I navigate life with this life-threatening lung disease.

While upset last week about something work-related (I know I shouldn’t be letting this bother me) my colleague said to me: “Charlene, you need to take a day off just to rest and relax. To do nothing!” This has always been hard for me, even when I am relaxing, I have something I am working on such as my handmade cards or other crafting projects. I find it very hard just to sit still and do nothing, including watching TV/movies. I can’t help but wonder: do others find this difficult as well?

For me, I think it comes from a place of always being busy, this was my “norm” before IPF crept into my life and I don’t think I’ve adjusted yet to what life as a “chronically ill patient” will be like. Have you had trouble making this adjustment? 

Please let me know how you choose to rest, relax and rejuvenate since IPF became part of your life. Perhaps something you do will help me improve on this skill. Charlene.

replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.