Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Treatments and Science Ofev (Nintedanib) Use of OFEV for Other Interstitial Lung Diseases

• Use of OFEV for Other Interstitial Lung Diseases

Posted by Charlene Marshall on November 29, 2019 at 6:06 pm

To all our American forum members: I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family members yesterday, and found something to be  grateful for despite living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).

__

Recently a forum member shared with us that her physician believes Ofev will be used for all types of pulmonary fibrosis, or various interstitial lung diseases (ILDs) in the near future, and not just the idiopathic form of PF. I thought this was interesting, and couldn’t help but wonder why it was designated for use originally with only IPF, if it ultimately is going to be beneficial for other ILDs. Unfortunately, with many different types of lung diseases, patients are limited in what they can try for treatment. While Ofev isn’t always beneficial due to the GI and other unpleasant side effects of the disease, there are studies that prove it’s effectiveness so hopefully it can be used for other ILDs in the near future.

While browsing social media yesterday, I came across THIS article which talks about Health Canada approving OFEV to slow the decline of pulmonary function in patients with a disease other than IPF. It talks about how it can slow down the rate of pulmonary decline specifically in those with systemic sclerosis (SSc) or scleroderma – also considered to be a form of PF.

Based on your experience with OFEV, would you encourage others with different ILDs to try Ofev and potentially slow down their pulmonary decline? 

replied 4 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.