Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ We All Should Use Mindfullness Techniques

• We All Should Use Mindfullness Techniques

Posted by mark-koziol on September 29, 2020 at 7:00 pm

The first time I became acclimated to the word “Mindfulness” was when I was participating in phase II of pulmonary rehabilitation after my single lung transplant. A 30 minute education component was part of the program at the end of the physical requirements of the session. Our respiratory therapist, Lynn Gorton conducted almost all of the education sessions. She introduced the importance of mindfulness to all of us in the class. She stressed the importance of using mindfulness strategies for relaxation, and then demonstrated these strategies to facilitate and model better breathing techniques for the class. I found these strategies useful and use them if I find myself short of breath, which usually happens when I overly exert myself. I previously wrote a column and forum topic on Lynn, and the passion she has for her patients.

I recently read a publication titled; “Mindfulness: 17 Simple Ways to Ease Stress”. We as patients of a special group are by nature, under an unfathomable amount of stress on an ongoing basis. Others may not see it on the outside of us but we sure do feel it on the inside. We all need a stress relief and this short publication offers different ways to relieve stress. This list is not all inclusive because there are many other strategies that weren’t mentioned and many of us enjoy, but this is a start. Sometimes we all need  a nudge to get things going. I like this publication because it is interactive and will have you practicing mindfulness while you are going through the 17 ways to ease stress.  Sometimes we all need to just take time for ourselves and take a deep breath and breathe.

What are some strategies you use to relieve stress?

Do you use mindfulness strategies?

mark-koziol replied 4 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • susan-zimmerman

January 30, 2020 at 10:51 am

Mark, thanks for posting this topic and the link to the article. My husband lives with the challenges of IPF and I’m his partner in helping care for him. I love the list of 17 ways to practice mindfulness, especially the first exercise of breathing mindfully for 2 breaths. It was a helpful reminder that this easy yet effective mindfulness practice is always there for me to use—if I remember it!! When I’m feeling anxious or overwhelmed, I have trouble remembering what I can do to help myself.

Another mindfulness practice I use is called “Excessive Thinking.” I didn’t note where I got this or who wrote it, but it sure helps when my mind is working overtime on worries, guilt trips, fears, etc., especially at night:
    <p class=”p1″ style=”margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 19px; line-height: normal; caret-color: #000000; color: #000000; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”><span class=”s1″>Excessive thinking:</span></p>
    <p class=”p1″ style=”margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 19px; line-height: normal; caret-color: #000000; color: #000000; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”><span class=”s1″>The best way to deal with excessive thinking is to just listen to it, to listen to the mind. Listening is much more effective than trying to stop thought or cut it off.
    <span style=”color: #333333; font-size: 16px;”>
    Just listening. No judging, no arguing, no explaining. Just stepping back and listening. And repeating as often as needed, until my mind gets a little more quiet and I relax. It works when I let it. ;)</span>
    </span></p>

• susan-zimmerman

January 30, 2020 at 11:20 am

Try again, this time I hope without the formatting symbols!

Mark, thanks for posting this topic and the link to the article. My husband lives with the challenges of IPF and I’m his partner in helping care for him. I love the list of 17 ways to practice mindfulness, especially the first exercise of breathing mindfully for 2 breaths. It was a helpful reminder that this easy yet effective mindfulness practice is always there for me to use—if I remember it!! When I’m feeling anxious or overwhelmed, I have trouble remembering what I can do to help myself.

Another mindfulness practice I use is called “Excessive Thinking.” I didn’t note where I got this or who wrote it, but it sure helps when my mind is working overtime on worries, guilt trips, fears, etc., especially at night:

“Excessive Thinking
    The best way to deal with excessive thinking is to just listen to it, to listen to the mind. Listening is much more effective than trying to stop thought or cut it off.”

Just listening. No judging, no arguing, no explaining. Just stepping back and listening. And repeating as often as needed, until my mind gets a little more quiet and I relax. It works when I let it. 😉

• mark-koziol

January 30, 2020 at 1:10 pm

Hello Susan, thank you for sharing your suggestions on how you practice mindfulness and relieve stressors in your life. We all need to take care of ourselves and take time for ourselves. This is important for our wellbeing. Take care, mark.