• YouTube: Using Guidelines For An Accurate IPF Diagnosis

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 24, 2019 at 8:33 pm

YouTube can be an incredibly helpful social media platform, including the use of others (ie. professionals) providing instructional or informative videos when it comes to a patient’s healthcare needs. Recently I saw a video on YouTube called How to Use IPF Guidelines to Make a Diagnosis. I thought it would be informative to share with our wonderful forum members, as we often talk about the difficulty in the process of receiving an accurate diagnosis of IPF. Some of you have even shared that you were initially misdiagnosed with something else, or told you had IPF and didn’t; unbeknownst to you only until you sought out a second opinion.

I wonder how many physicians have seen this video by Dr. Jeffrey Swigris, or follow particular set of guidelines when it comes to accurately diagnosing a patient with IPF? I am sure many do, as there are a lot of great pulmonologists out there but I suspect some doctors also have a lot to learn still.

Have you seen this video, which was supported by an educational grant from Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and Genentech?

What are your thoughts on these guidelines?

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Suzanne R Brennan

July 26, 2019 at 10:04 am

Charlene, thanks for sharing this link. Dr. Swigris is my pulmonologist at National Jewish Health and I feel so fortunate as he is really, really good at his job!

What I found funny was the diagramming in the video as he does this kind of drawing whenever I ask questions about different lung related things. I often go home with his drawings on the back of my list of questions – so helpful! I’m pretty sure he didn’t draw these things in the video but he sure could have.

I hope you are doing well and looking forward to your trip!

• Charlene Marshall

July 28, 2019 at 9:16 am

Hi Suzanne,

Lovely to hear from you and how neat is that – that Dr. Swigris is your physician! I loved watching this video, and am so happy to hear that you’re happy with his care, that is so important for patients. The comment about his drawings made me laugh, sounds like he is a good physician and maybe he inspired the drawings in the video, who knows 🙂

I hope you’re enjoying your weekend Suzanne, nice to hear from you, as always !

Charlene.