Smoking and Gender: Factors Contributing to IPF Progression

• Smoking and Gender: Factors Contributing to IPF Progression

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 10, 2018 at 6:02 pm

Recently Pulmonary Fibrosis News released an article on two habits that contribute to the progression of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). This news article and the results enclosed are based on a 2018 study out of Finland, and the two habits are smoking and gender.

This study looks at which gender is more likely to succumb to the disease itself vs. who is more likely to die from co-morbidities of the disease, along with how the habit of smoking contributes to those numbers. Interestingly enough, the study also looks at the other major contributors of IPF-related mortality such as specific types of organ failure that can be brought on by IPF, along with secondary diseases.

While this study was a bit difficult to ready as a patient living with IPF, it was also very informative and interesting to see such relevant and recent research pertaining to our disease. I am thankful that I have never been someone who smokes, as I know it can be a difficult habit to break. However, this study helps explain why it is such an important habit to stop if you are a smoker and living with IPF.

To read the article on the Pulmonary Fibrosis News site, please click here.

To read the full study referenced in the article, you can find it here.

What are your thoughts on these two habits (one controllable, one not (ie. gender)) as contributors to the progression of IPF? Do any of the findings surprise you? 

replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.