• Regular Cardiac Monitoring since IPF Diagnosis.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 29, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I hope this note finds you all doing well, and if you’re facing the heatwave that we are right now, that you’re managing to keep cool and stay safe amidst very humid temperatures.

I am just curious for those of you diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF/PF), does your Pulmonologist order regular tests to monitor your cardiac function? If so, how often and what types of tests do you do regularly for your heart?

I am on day 4 of wearing a holter monitor to keep an eye on my cardiac rhythms, as well as noting any specific events or symptoms that I might feel on the journal that comes with the monitor. I am having to wear it for 14 days and it is terribly inconvenient and uncomfortable. This is only because the electrodes on my chest are leaving major welts and skin irritations already, even when I move them around after I shower. It is a bit frustrating, and 14 days seems excessive to me, but perhaps it is normal?

I am trying to note any specific symptoms I am having, ie. shortness of breath (SOB) caused by heart palpitations by writing it in the journal and flagging it as an ‘event’ on the monitor itself, however, I don’t actually think my shortness of breath is being caused by cardiac issues. It makes more sense, seeing as I have a lung disease, that the SOB is caused by my pulmonary issues not my heart. I suppose it is good to rule it out, and monitoring how hard my heart is working is important given my poor lung function.

I’m just curious about how often other PF/IPF patients have their cardiac function tested, and via what tests they are subjected to in order to do so. Thanks in advance for sharing.

replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.