Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Something Has Shifted Within Me: Prioritizing My Needs

• Something Has Shifted Within Me: Prioritizing My Needs

Posted by Charlene Marshall on October 20, 2018 at 6:49 pm

I have really noticed a difference in myself over the past few months. It is one that I have been striving to learn, but until just recently hadn’t felt as though I could achieve it. I don’t know what has caused the change, and sometimes it is still a work in progress, but overall I am happy with the change. I truly believe this is better for my emotional, mental and physical health and overall leaves me feeling happier.

Lately, I am choosing to prioritize my own needs ahead of others’ needs. And, most importantly, I am not feeling guilty about it. I wish everyone could experience this, not just those of us living with a chronic illness; however, I know this is easier said than done.

I was forced to accept that things were going to change for me after I was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in April 2016. Still, I prioritized the needs of others ahead of my own even though my physical abilities were dwindling and my fatigue was becoming overwhelming. Again, I am not sure what caused this change, but it feels nice to think critically about whether or not I want to do something, and say no if it won’t make me happy or bring me joy. Anything that causes me additional stress, I try to let go and intentionally focus my energy and attention on only the things I want to do and I am happier as a result. Below are some of the ways I do this (guilt-free) and I’d love to hear from you if you’ve also begun doing this since your IPF/PF diagnosis.

• Letting go of things that don’t impact me: sometimes I get caught up in worrying about or problem-solving things that don’t even involve or impact me. I am mindful now about thinking if something will or won’t impact me, and if it doesn’t, I leave the issue alone and try to put it out of my mind. A favourite phrase to help with this is, “not my circus, not my monkeys”.

• Letting go of needing to fix things “now”: usually complex problems that cause us worry and stress are things that can’t be resolved overnight anyways. Worrying about something that isn’t applicable right now, allows that worry to steal the joy of each moment. When living with IPF, I want to experience the joy of each moment, so when I can’t solve something right now or in the moment, I actively try to forget about it until it is time to address it.

Please share your experience with this if it is something you can relate to as a patient living with a chronic lung disease!

replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.