Control Group for EGCG + IPF Longitudinal Survey

Tagged: , ,

• Control Group for EGCG + IPF Longitudinal Survey

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 15, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

As you know, there has been a lot of discussion on the forums regarding the EGCG Green Tea extract and pulmonary fibrosis. This topic originated after a New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) study was published on EGCG earlier this year, which was called Reversal of TGβ1-Driven Profibrotic State in Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis. 

While BioNews Insights (the research division of BioNews Services) does not have the capability to formally conduct any type of clinical trial using EGCG, we are excited about the information we’re looking to obtain via a longitudinal questionnaire. Thank you to everyone who has offered to lend your voice to this project! 

We’re nearly finished the questionnaire to help us collate everyone’s experience with EGCG and IPF/PF, then we’ll be able to pull together some interesting information in an easy-to-read graphic. This was built based on feedback from the primary investigator (PI) of the NEJM study who is a physician out of UCSF. We spoke to him recently, and another piece of feedback he had was to establish a control group for this project.

If you are not on Ofev, Esbriet OR taking EGCG: would you be willing to participate in this longitudinal questionnaire, as part of a control group, to help us propel this project forward?

If so, or if you’d like more information, please email me at: [email protected]

Many thanks in advance to everyone already participating and for those considering.

Sincerely,
    Charlene + BioNews Insights team.

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Steve Dragoo

July 19, 2020 at 11:13 pm

@charlene-marshall

I would but I started ab OTC EGCG a few weeks ago…

• Charlene Marshall

Organizer
    July 20, 2020 at 2:27 pm

No problem @steve-dragoo , thanks for letting my know my friend!
    Sincerely,
    Char.

• Stephen B. Strum, MD

April 21, 2023 at 9:50 am

I have investigated EGCG given the provocative literature relating to my rare disease light chain amyloidosis (AL).  A major problem with EGCG is its poor absorption via the stomach.  It is far better absorbed via the buccal mucosa (i.e., lining of the mouth ⇢ cheeks).  I communicated years ago with Chef Albert Lauber of Neuchatel, a Swiss Chocolate Company and he created for my patients with cancer a chocolate containing 100 mg of EGCG.  See https://www.neuchatelchocolates.com/products/egcg-green-tea-dark-swiss-chocolate

If you wanted to mimic the New England J of Medicine study, then during the course of the day consume 6 pieces of the Neuchatel EGCG-enriched chocolate.  In the best of worlds, we would obtain plasma EGCG levels as well as proteomics before and after starting the EGCG. The priorities of our world are elsewhere.  This would be a simple study but no one will do it.