• Dave

April 23, 2020 at 2:11 pm

I just started on Esbriet a month ago. I have not yet begun losing weight but I am interested to hear if anyone is taking green tea extract as a supplement and is having any noticeable results. Seems to good to be true!

• Jan Cohen

August 2, 2023 at 11:00 am

Every time I took it, it made me throw up.  I am now taking AST Enzymes which a study has shown to reduce fibrin production.  Don’t know if they do since I haven’t been back to my pulmonologist since I started them.  At least, I don’t have any side effect from them.  I certainly don’t need to lose any weight.  I’m trying to gain a few pounds.

• Denny

August 2, 2023 at 2:18 pm

Jan, did you mean ATP or what is AST?

Denny

• Jan Cohen

August 31, 2023 at 4:28 pm

I meant AST. If you do a search for AST Enzymes, you’ll get their website.

• Stephen Gould

April 23, 2020 at 2:16 pm

I recently read this, and have an order on the way.

• Charlene Marshall

April 23, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Really good questions about EGCG Jerry! I’ve never taken it so I unfortunately cannot comment on the weight loss concerns, but wonder if others have tried it and had any concerns with this side effect? The sample size in this study was indeed small, something to consider, but maybe something to speak with your physicians about since it was published in the NEJM, a credible source? I know my doctor’s are reluctant to read anything that isn’t a credible source but if anyone has had this discussion with their doctor, I’d love to hear how it goes. Let me know what you decide to do Jerry and I’ll monitor this thread to see if anyone has some good insights to share.
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

April 23, 2020 at 9:56 pm

I’m curious to hear something as well Dave, @6whitehorses ! Hopefully someone has some information to share. Hope the side effects of Esbriet are doing okay with you so far.
    Charlene.

• jim nox

January 7, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Hello Charlene, Ron, and others inquiring about green tea extract. I began taking the Green Tea Extract in the approximate dosages used in the study published in the NEJM, since the study was first published in the Pulmonary Fibrosis News. Have used several different brands, but not the Teavigo brand used in the study. All brands had labeled content of EGCG.

After some 6 months of fairly rigorous adherence to the regimen described in the study, I did not notice any improvement. In fact, I experienced continued decline in all perameters (nearly continuous Sat rate measurements, ranch and house work capability, etc.,) except my regular 6 min walk tests, which have stayed in the same rather broad range between 340m and 380m. My PFTs show a slow decline in diffusion.

Bottom line, over a period of about 9 months, the first 6 of which I strictly adhered to the regimen, I have noticed no improvement and have experienced increasing disability and increasing need for O2 during any activity other than sitting still. My general conclusion is that, for my particular body and situation, the Green Tea Extract experiment was not productive or noticeably helpful and I have abandoned the regimen, except for occasional capsules of extract, and brewed green tea on occasional, non-rigorous basis.  This is my anecdotal experience report. Wish it were a better outcome.

• Ron

January 8, 2021 at 5:44 am

Jim Nox

I wish it were a better report too. It’s essential that we not think of green tea extract as a magic elixir to cure all IPF at this point. It appears to be a perfectly safe product with several proven benefits other than for IPF. So there little to lose and much to gain for those with IPF who experience benefits.

Researchers have yet to identify the causes of IPF. There may very well be more than one cause. They have found several common markers in blood and cell analysis of IPF patients which may someday lead the researchers to one or more causes.

It could very well be that green tea extract is effective for some causes while ineffective for others. Or, your case might represent a one-in-a-million anomaly in treatment data. Data, btw, to my knowledge is not being compiled nor is it likely to be compiled unless a non-pharmaceutical source steps up to fund necessary studies.

You might consider whether the extract is preventing your case from getter worse faster than it otherwise would. And then you should deal with some quality of life decisions. Decisions like when your condition deteriorates more do you want to live and struggle as long as possible or stop treatment and allow things to happen sooner? These are all complex decisions only you should make for yourself.

On the bright side, Fibrogen’s pamrevlumab drug has advanced to Phase 3 clinical trials. Its been proven to halt IPF disease progression and “ease fibrosis in IPF patients” in previous Phase 2 studies. Phase 3 will expand the number of people in the trials.

Details are here: https://tinyurl.com/ipftrial (goes to Pulmonary Fibrosis News article)

There is actually two phase 3 studies call ZEPHUS and ZEPHUS2. They are actively recruiting IPF patients ages 40-85 who have been treated with Esbriet (pirfenidone) or Ofev (nintedanib) but stopped using them.

PF patients are being recruited for the ZEPHUS trial in the United States, Australia, Argentina, Taiwan, Chile, and the Republic of Korea.

IPF Patients for ZEPHUS2 are being recruited in Georgia, Italy, Hungary, and Lebanon.

To view details of the trials and how to apply go here: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03955146

• Ken Monroe

August 3, 2023 at 2:59 pm

It’s my understanding the Zephyrus trials (pamrevlumab) have been cancelled.

• Don Erich

August 3, 2023 at 5:43 pm

Ken,

That is true. Pamrevlumab failed to achieve its target goals. Here’s the link.

Don

https://fibrogen.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/fibrogen-announces-topline-results-phase-3-zephyrus-1-study

• Charlene Marshall

January 8, 2021 at 8:10 am

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us and write such a thorough update. I really appreciate it, and I know others will also. Though, like Ron, I wish it were better news overall. Have you heard about the green tea extra studies taking place in Texas now too? It’s interesting that it continues to be investigated, but I suppose the more things being looked at to help this terrible disease, the better. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us and wishing you the very best.
        Charlene.

• Manzurul Khan

March 24, 2021 at 7:07 pm

I started taking EGCG (350 mg capsules) right after I was diagnosed in late October. I also drink green teat each day. I read the same research report and felt I could not lose anything by taking the extract. I also changed my diet completely with anti-inflammation items replacing anything that causes inflammation. I have not lost weight in 5 months but feel better. My condition is also stable to trending in the right direction. My most recent breathing test and 6-minute walk test also gave better results than in November. I take lot of herbs – ginger, cinnamon and turmeric. I don’t know exactly what might be helping me. I also exercise each day pushing my lung capacity as much as I can. I want to stay away from Esbriet or Ofev as long as I can. My doctor thinks I should start the med now to avoid an acute condition in 1-2 years.

• Meredith

August 6, 2023 at 5:05 pm

My Doctor has told me that if I want to use supplements recommended by individuals on the internet, I need to decide whether to depend on their advice or his.

End of…..

• Don Erich

August 7, 2023 at 9:38 am

Hi Meredith. It’s unfortunate that your Dr has that attitude, I think. There are a number of medical professionals that think there may be some benefits to treating PF with ECGC. The study referenced below was scheduled to begin August 1st. Several well known universities are involved.

https://classic.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT05195918

Good luck to you. Don

• Charlene Marshall

April 23, 2020 at 9:57 pm

@steveg

Please let us know how you make out with it, and whether or not you see any noticeable results/feel improvement. Would be curious to know.
    Take care,
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

April 29, 2020 at 6:37 am

This is potentially good news as green tea has been touted a long time as high antioxidant possibly better than Vit C and E among several other benefits.  Makes me wonder if Wei products have EGCG in it…

• Jan Cohen

August 31, 2023 at 4:35 pm

I took the Wei products for at least 4 months and I don’t think any of them had the EGCG. They are very expensive, but I would have continued if I had seen any results.

• joe hick

April 30, 2020 at 10:18 am

Started taking it yesterday. 1000 mg to start, than, 2000 mg. We will see.

• Barry McGee

April 30, 2020 at 10:31 am

Joe

How did you arrive at those large doses? What brand did you buy?

Thanks

Barry

• Jerry Genesio

April 30, 2020 at 10:49 am

Joe, have you been taking EGCG and, if so, what has your experience been: weight gain or weight loss?

• Sarv Punj

April 30, 2020 at 11:09 am

Friends I have read the news about EGCG found to be useful in treatment of IPF. While green tea is easily available, do we have to buy EGCG  (the green tea extract) specially or it is automatically delivered to the body by taking green tea regularly. Kindly educate me on this. Thanks.

sarv

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

April 30, 2020 at 11:22 am

I ordered the green tea extract from the brand the report used in the study, and my husband started it this past Monday.  I will let you know how he is doing.  My husband sees his pulmonologist later in May

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

April 30, 2020 at 11:35 am

This is what the report stated:

“Half were given oral capsules of EGCG (from Teavigo) at a daily dose of 600 mg for 14 days before the biopsy, while the other half were not (untreated group). Tissue from five healthy lungs were analyzed as controls.”

• Gregory Dixon

April 30, 2020 at 3:07 pm

I find it extraordinary that the NEJM would publish this long letter about a short study of a supplement drug. I  suppose the results, after a mere 14 days of treatment,  were so extraordinary, that they wanted to get the word out. I ordered some easily on Amazon and started taking it last week.

• Steve Dragoo

April 30, 2020 at 8:20 pm

@joehick0529, @sarvpunj, @jgenesio: Hey Joe – I read doses over 800 mg per day may cause liver damage but under 800 mg no damage has been noted. However, there is not an established safe dosage. Since we have this lovely disease I will start when I can get an order here in the Philippines but at about 400 mg per day and increase to 600 mg and/or a cup of strong green tea.

Green tea has between 50 mg and 100 mg od EGCG per cup. That probably depends on the type of tea, how old it is, and how long you steep it.  I have some of that on hand and will start today using a triple dose.

In the past when I drank green tea daily I never noticed any weight loss and I prefer a strong brew.

Stay well… Steve

• Nigel Wright

March 22, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Green Tea extract is interesting and 600mg per day looks ok but it states on the jar take with food but other posts say better absorbed on an empty stomach ?
      Question is it safe to take 600mg at the same time or should you divide it morning and night and if taken in one go should it be on an empty stomach

• Steve Dragoo

April 30, 2020 at 8:22 pm

@rebecca-schrantz-lilly Hi Rebecca – that would be great to hear from you sometime in May. Thanks – Steve

• smiley

May 1, 2020 at 9:21 am

Trying to find the exact teavigo  product the study used: “Half were given oral capsules of EGCG (from Teavigo) at a daily dose of 600 mg  …

Anyone, please help?  In searching,  it appears that Teavigo is a manufacturer and a trademark and other companies use their product, but i may have missed something.

Anyways, the form used was 94 percent EGCG, apparently and the differing products on the market say different things about this percentage and vary widely in price.   In short,  looking for the same product the study used or a product that matches it its  efficacy.

Anyone experience in Green tea extract trusted sources?

Many thanks

• joe hick

May 1, 2020 at 12:38 pm

I bought Nusapure off of Amazon. The recommended dosage from them is 2 capsules per day, and they are 1000mg. I am going to stay with the one capsule per day. I just started this a few days ago, so nothing to report as of yet, by the way they are made in the USA.

What I am impressed with is that this study was reported in the, New England Journal of Medicine.

• Maynard James Keller

May 1, 2020 at 4:39 pm

Life Extension has a tea product high in EGCG, which they describe as follows:

Mega Green Tea Extract

Overview

Green tea (Camellia sinensis) contains health-promoting polyphenol compounds such as epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a powerful anti-aging phytonutrient that has been the subject of extensive scientific research. Our Mega Green Tea Extract provides more of these potent compounds than the equivalent of several cups of green tea in a lightly caffeinated supplement.

Each capsule of Mega Green Tea Extract provides 725 mg of green tea extract, standardized to 98 percent polyphenols.

I’ve been taking the product for years, but not in this amount. I’m increasing the amount now.

I I’ve been using Life Extension products for years in regard them as an ethical company. They also sponsor quite a bit of research.

• Penny Rylee

May 1, 2020 at 7:54 pm

I just got the OK from my pulmonologist to take 600 mg of EGCG a day. He says it sounds interesting. I had sent him the article from our newsletter.

I might do a clinical trial at Stanford Medical School for EGCG that is the same product once the virus has calmed down.

This sounds exciting!

• Charlene Marshall

May 1, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Let us know how it goes for you, Joe! Goodluck.

• Charlene Marshall

May 1, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Hi @prylee ,

Thanks so much for sharing this news with us – interesting that your doctor was in support of this, that does sound like good news. I’m glad you shared the news letter with him and he was in support 🙂

Let us know what you decide on the clinical trial.

Best of luck!
    Charlene.

• Jerry Genesio

May 1, 2020 at 11:10 pm

Penny – Thank you so much! Your response is very helpful. I’ve ordered a 4 month trial supply of 500 mg capsules and will take one-a-day. Please, let’s continue to exchange information and results. My biggest concern is weight loss. I’m already experiencing a slight, unexplained weight loss probably attributable to the IPF. I’m down from 198 to 188 over this past year and don’t want to lose any more if I can help it.

Thanks again! Jerry

• Sarv Punj

May 1, 2020 at 11:27 pm

Hello Everybody everybody on the Forum. Various posts on EGGC are very enlightening. I am still not sure which brand of Green Tea Extract I should buy for my wife. There are numerous brands available in India, local as well imported. Also what potency capsules are adequate. I will be grateful if more light is thrown in this regard.
    Thanks.

Sarv

• Linda Klein

May 2, 2020 at 11:55 am

Hello all

I too are very interested in others results after using the green tea extract. I’m will see what I can find in EGSG extract available to buy.

Thanks Linda

Page 1 of 6