• Charlene Marshall

May 2, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Hi Sarv,

Sorry I can’t be of more help with this, I had another member contact me about the brand of EGCG extract as well and I couldn’t really find anything consistent. I’d maybe try messaging those on the forums directly who have posted that they have purchased the product and see where they got it and their thoughts on it so far? This is of course very subjective, but I’m not seeing a specific recommendation listed in any of the literature. If you find one, let us know.

Charlene.

• Kay Kagy

May 3, 2020 at 12:25 pm

Hi, I started the green Tea with EGCG yesterday after a great discussion with the pharmacist from the Ofev site.  I have been on Ofev for 2 years now.  So-she was so thorough in her response.  First-no drug interactions with Ofev, next-she had the article and the study and said it was important if I was going to do it to match the amount of EGCG in my tea capsules as was in the study.  I had purchased 500mg caps that showed 98% green tea BUT only half the dose needed per cap so she said I needed 2 a day.  On re-reading the printout it does not say the daily needed substance for this study but she knew it!   She also said to be sure the drug was certified by the government to be as indicated on label as many vitamins and supplements were not.  Mine was GMO certified.  I will keep you posted on how things go.  Thanks, Kay

• Charlene Marshall

May 3, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Hi @kay-kagy

That is great to hear, thanks so much for sharing… I’m glad your experience was positive with the Ofev Pharmacist was positive too. For those interested, might you be willing to share the link to the product you got and where you purchased it? I know some folks are looking for information on this. Please do keep us posted on how things go Kay, that would be great.

Take care,
    Charlene.

• Rene Hakkenberg

May 3, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Hi Charlene,

I got in touch with Teavigo which was mentioned in the test results and they referred me Master Supplements, tel 800 926 2961.

I ordered 3 bottles of 62 capsules for $85.66 and if I am not mistaken they were 150 mg, which would mean 4 caps per day if we want to stick to the 600 mg as used in the test. I am not sure when I will receive them as there are no flights to Bonaire due to the virus. On amazon you can get cheaper ones and higher doses per cap, but not knowing much i stuck to the ones used in the test results.

As you mentioned, all of us using it should report in this forum to compare results. Also I hope we can get more expert guidance as to dosage and length of time to take it. Let’s be as detailed as possible in our reporting. Not just “I am feeling better” but details. Let’s hope it works, it would be a wonder(ful) pill.

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

May 3, 2020 at 5:29 pm

I ordered it from Healthy Origins on Amazon.  I read the replies and one individual participated and here is his reply:

‘Amazon Ember’, I participated in a study group for 2 weeks taking four capsules of this green tea. The study was being done by a noted University and I was chosen because I have early stage IPF. (Pulmonary fibrosis). The University chose this tea because of its purity as it was all lab tested and certified for the study. I gave a blood sample at the end of the test to allow for examination. Green tea has been used with mice and produced markers that indicate a reduction of scarring and, potentially, scar reducing action. I have no idea what the study will show but I am now buying two bottles of this product from Amazon every month and taking it in am 1 hour before breakfast. I guess you would say I am assuming this has benefit for my condition and continuing with my own study. Besides, green tea has many other benefits for people with normal health– so why not take it? I hope this helps someone.

• jaime L manriquez

May 5, 2020 at 2:00 pm

hello falks, I m on a green tea for a week already, got it from superstore,  2 little boxes of 20 bags each, inexpensive though, about US$ 2,00 two dollars per box. Will take em all 40 and will comment, best reagrads for all of you friends, hopping something good come out for all of us from researchers on this COVID-19

JAIME

• Michael Penner

May 5, 2020 at 3:32 pm

I prematurely submitted a post letting all know of my intention to start taking 300 mg/day of Teavigo. Unfortunately, I was just informed/reminded by Cardiology of yet another underlying cardiac condition. Green tea extract has a significant amount of caffeine and I’m now advised to not consider any high doses; cups of tea yes but, extract-no. Forgot how “compromised” my heart has become over the years. Sorry for the mixed messaging. I am on 24/7 home oxygen and have self quarantined since January. For those who are “heart-healthy”, go for it! Anxious to hear of some positive results.

• JillT

May 5, 2020 at 5:36 pm

Glad you clarified, Michael. I’ve recently been diagnosed with a few cardiac complications stemming from my IPF, so I definitely won’t be trying this supplement! Pulmonary hypertension is a quite common comorbidity of IPF and high caffeine could be quite dangerous, I would think.

• Dave

May 5, 2020 at 6:09 pm

1: The March 3, 2020 issue of US News and World Report picked up and highlighted the New England Journal of Medicine article we have been discussing in this thread: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-03-11/could-green-tea-extract-help-fight-pulmonary-fibrosis

2. Here is an article that warns against doses over 1000 mg. https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2018/04/19/EGCG-warning-EFSA-safety-assessment-suggests-green-tea-supplements-should-come-with-warning

3. There are EGCG products available that indicate they are Caffeine free.

4. As others have mentioned, the dose used in the cited  study utilized 600mg per day. I feel comfortable with that. Since there is no cure for this disease at this time, the research articles on EGCG are the only thing I have seen that offers any present hope of inflammation reduction ( and less scarring) and possible positive impact. While I have started taking Esbriet, there is no real way to ever know if it is having a positive impact.

5. I discussed the NEJM article with my pulmonologist yesterday. While he could not state definitively that EGCG would help, he did say that if he had lung fibrosis, he would take it.

6. EGCG also has research support for risk reduction of getting and fighting various cancers. I have also been dealing with early stage non invasive bladder cancer. I don’t see any downside here in using EGCG in conjunction with best medical treatment practices.

7. I should receive my order Saturday and begin taking 600mg daily on Sunday. I hope that a year from now there will be some quantifiable positive difference in my condition to report, either visibly through HRCT results or experientially through breathing tests. My thoughts are that the taking of Esbriet can only show lack of progression ( which might not even be due to taking Esbriet) but the taking of EGCG could actually show some level of improvement. I am taking a proactive approach. I have nothing to lose by taking a responsible dose of EGCG and everything to gain. Trusting God in all things!

• Charlene Marshall

May 5, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this Rebecca, I am sure many will find it helpful – including the review you included! Sounds like many are inquiring about purchasing this product, so thanks again for taking the time to write and share this with us. Keep us posted on how you’re feeling with this new product if you can!
    Many thanks,
    Charlene.

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

May 5, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Dave, I totally agree that we need to take a proactive approach.  Being that Green Tea Extract has been shown to fight certain cancers, and we hear all the time how we should be drinking green tea, how can it not be a good thing?!

My husband’s appointment is on the 18th of this month and he just started taking the extract a week ago so I am not sure if that is enough time but whether it is or isn’t, I feel good about this.

I will let you all know if there is any indication this is working.

• Dave

May 5, 2020 at 8:12 pm

Hi Rebecca! Praying for good results for your husband. I am hoping to see some results over time, but I realize this did not occur over night and results may take a while to begin to surface. Having said that, I am moving forward believing that in sticking with it I am doing something good and positive for my health that could get me through the time until there is a cure for IPF.

I do hold the hope that with all the advances in research around the world, a cure may be available in the next few years. Any positive results from this EGCG are a blessing. Given the many other positive health benefits I have been reading about EGCG, I will probably be taking it the rest of my life!

• Jerry Genesio

May 5, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Michael: Thanks for mentioning your cardiologist’s concern about the caffeine. I also have a cardiac condition and am in A-Fib most of the time so your comment has prompted me to discuss the EGCG with my cardiologist before I start taking it. The one I’ve ordered is Nature’s Wellness Green Tea Extract 500 mg which has 5% natural caffeine.

I am so very impressed by all of the responses my original post received concerning EGCG and the very brief NEJM article. There is so much information coming in that I’m confident EGCG is something worth pursuing. And there are many who are starting it with a commitment to keep us all informed of progress. Thank you!

• Tom Nicholas

May 6, 2020 at 7:43 am

I receive my order next week. While looking at the many products available on Amazon or eBay, I did notice a consistentcy of the front labels prominently displaying, for example, 1000mg. While looking at the ingredients and dosage, most products show similarly 45% EGCG per capsule. I assume this to mean, if it is a 1000mg capsule, then I’d be getting about 450mg of EGCG. Is this a correct assumption?

• Richard L Shelby

May 7, 2020 at 1:25 pm

@tom-nicholas Your assumption is correct and all of us interested in EGCG need to pay attention to the product labels as the percentage of EGCG varies quite a bit over the range of available green tea products.

• Lou Body IV

May 7, 2020 at 3:28 pm

I have read the NEJM article and thought I’d try it. I ordered 750mg capsules of Decaffeinated Green Tea Extract from Vitacost.com who I think is quite reputable. This product has 325.25mg of EGCG. I haven’t taken it yet as I wanted to hear how others tolerated it first. I stay away from caffeine as I had Afib for years before it was ablated 2x 10 years ago. I have taken ESBRIET since last September. Currently, I’m OK, out of Afib and still very active and not on oxygen for Familial Fibrosis. I have a sister who has FF also and she takes Azithromycin every other day. She is on oxygen full time but has improved with much less coughing since being on AZT. Our deceased mother was the first one in our family to have PF. People with Lung Fibrosis grasp at any straw, as they should. As soon as I hear that people tolerate EGCG OK then I will try it. So keep your comments flowing on this subject. Thanks, Lou

• Penny Rylee

May 7, 2020 at 5:44 pm

I believe the two-week study at UC Davis (in conjunction with UCSF) used the Teavigo Green Tea Extract from Healthy Origins. I got it through the internet and am taking four 150 mg daily as they did in the study.

I am doing a walk test and spirometry next week at the pulmonary lab and am excited to see if my lung function has improved.

I stated Esbriet six weeks ago and now have a horrible sun rash on hands, neck and lower legs. I have heard that this side effect might end within six months. I sure hope so. It’s had to climb hills (with the gym closed) with this creepy rash.

Good luck with the EGCG!

Penny Rylee

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

May 7, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Penny Rylee:

My husband also came down with a horrible sun rash on the back of his neck 5 years ago.  He is very cautious of putting sunscreen on now when outside.  He has not had a problem since so hopefully you won’t either.

• Dave

May 7, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Penny: Our situations are very similar… I ordered the same product as you and plan on the same dosage. I started Esbriet as well ( 9 weeks ago). I read about the rash side effect but have not had that. I have now read many scientific studies on EGCG for a variety of health applications and find it encouraging that there has been so much interest in it and in further studies. Time will tell! Hoping you and the rest of us have positive results going forward!

• Dave

May 8, 2020 at 3:23 pm

Bioavailability of EGCG:

Just received my order of EGCG and immediately took two capsules (150mg ea). Went and read some more research and discovered that optimum bioavailability of EGCG is achieved by taking it without food and only water. Bioavailability is important because it determines how much of the substance gets to the intended target/s. In other words, many things impact the results of ingesting a substance to include absorption, degradation of potentcy by air or light, etc. Maximum bioavailability is preferred. Taking EGCG with a meal reduces its bioavailability. I will incorporate this change starting tomorrow morning. Here is a link to the article for those that want to get into the details::

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4665468/

• Charlene Marshall

May 10, 2020 at 10:05 am

@6whitehorses

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us and good reminder re: bioavailability. For those of us on the anti-fibrotics and wanting to take the EGCG, we’ll have to figure out a schedule as to when to take it without food to maximize bioavailability. I know it is important to take our anti-fibrotics with food, so it’ll take some planning for the EGCG but certainly manageable. Thanks for the reminder, and for sharing the credible resource of the NCBI article. Let us know how you manage with your first few doses…
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

May 10, 2020 at 10:27 am

Thanks for sharing all of this information with us Dave! Of particular interest is the comment your pulmonologist made about EGCG and if he had fibrosis, he’d take it. Glad to hear this, and that your order came. Let us know how you make out today (Sunday) if you can, or after a few days of taking it. Will be curious to hear…. thanks for taking the time to provide us with credible links as well.
    Sincerely,
    Charlene

• Charlene Marshall

May 10, 2020 at 10:41 am

Thanks for sharing the contact number with us, Rene! I just replied to your email, but am looking at possibly ordering the extract as well, to give it a try. I can’t see how it would be harmful to us, even if not beneficial, and I like the comments from others on here that their physicians are in support of trying it, or that they’d explore using it if they had lung fibrosis. We’ll see – I’ve been in touch with my pulmonologist and GP almost daily last week, so when he calls this week I am going to explore it with him.

I also think it is a good idea that those on it compile their findings, citing detailed improvements or things they notice after being on the extract. Details are key! Unfortunately, I don’t have the capacity to track this using an excel sheet at this time, but I wonder if someone did? Something worth exploring if someone has the time to compile all the information, please let me know.
    Charlene.

• Dave

May 10, 2020 at 10:49 am

Hi Charlene!

Always glad to share. I suspect I won’t have much to report as far as any results for a few months. I did not expect any immediate noticeable difference but hope to be able to see some quantifiable results via a breathing test, blood labs, and/ or CT scan in 3-4 months. Will continue to read and research in the meantime. Blessings!

Page 2 of 6