• Charlene Marshall

May 10, 2020 at 10:55 am

Sounds great Dave, I look forward to hearing! I also hope you have some quantifiable results in the coming months, wouldn’t that be great? Thanks again for sharing and wishing you the very best. Have a restful Sunday 🙂

• Jerry Genesio

May 12, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Received word back from my pulmonologist today saying she thought the EGCG article in the NEJM, though brief and involving a small number of patients, shows promise. She said she could think of no reason why I shouldn’t start taking EGCG. I’m starting today and will watch and listen very carefully to how my body responds. If I notice any changes, I’ll post them here.

Best to all!

• Cornelia Hendershot

May 13, 2020 at 2:09 pm

I’ve been drinking green tea for years & have not lost weight nor has my IPF improved. But it can’t hurt.  Taking megadoses of anything can have unwanted side effects.

CH

• Charlene Marshall

May 13, 2020 at 9:13 pm

@jgenesio ,

That is so encouraging, thank you for circling back with your doctor’s thoughts on the NEJM article on EGCG. Although no formal medical training of course, I also couldn’t imagine it causing us harm in trying it so I’m glad you’re giving it a try and will pay close attention to your body and any changes you notice. Please do let us know and I look forward to hearing. Best of luck and thanks again for sharing!
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

May 13, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Hi Corneila,

Thanks so much for writing and welcome again to the PF forums! I am also a green tea lover 🙂 Something to note, the EGCG Green Tea Extract as cited in this article:  https://pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com/2020/04/21/green-tea-extract-stops-anti-fibrotic-processes-ipf-small-study-finds

… is quite different than regular green tea, a lot more concentrated and targeted from what I understand. Hopefully the side effects are minimum, stay tuned here for folks who are willing to try it and report back on how they’re managing with the recommended EGCG doses of the extract, if interested.

Charlene.

• Denny

May 14, 2020 at 6:29 pm

I can’t believe the heading is worded wrong and they didn’t catch it! It says the tea extract stops ANTI fibrotic process. Shouldn’t it be PRO or leave the word ANTI out?

• Charlene Marshall

May 14, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Hi @deliassen ,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I would imagine you’re right, and I’ll connect with our editor-in-chief to see if it needs to be updated to reflect a title with the ‘anti’ removed. It may have just been a typo on our end publishing the article, these things happen but I am really grateful you brought it up. Thanks again!
    Char.

UPDATE: fixed Denny, thank you for pointing it out!

• Edward Brownstein

May 15, 2020 at 9:33 am

Hi. I have been taking 750 mg of green tea extract for about 3 weeks. I have not had any weight loss. the only difference I have experienced is my oxygen saturation has in increased from 96 to anywhere from 97 to 99. I  have no idea if this is result from the extract.

• Dave

May 15, 2020 at 9:52 am

I have been taking 600 mg of Green Tea Extract for 1 week (Decaffeinated, 94% EGCG). I have not lost any weight. After 1 full week, the quantitative results are:

Oxygen Saturation increased from Average 94% to Average 96%.

Measured by home pulse oximeter.

The only thing that has changed in my routine is that I began taking the Green Tea Extract.  I have not experienced any side effects or negative consequences. I have not had any other medical tests or measurements. Plan to have a breathing test in approx 4 months.

• janice sutton

May 15, 2020 at 11:19 am

Hi Dave, would you please share what brand and where you purchased (600 mg, 94% EGCG) you green tea extract. I would like to try it but I also want the exact formulation which you have found and is used in the article.

Thank you, Janice

• Dave

May 15, 2020 at 12:39 pm

@jmsutt

Hi Janice! I bought Healthy Origins brand Teavigo (Caffeine Free) . It is available at both Swansonvitamins.com and Amazon.com. Hope this helps! Kindest Regards, Dave

• Jerry Genesio

May 15, 2020 at 2:30 pm

That’s good news Ed Brownstein! My only concern has been weight loss. I started on 500 mg EGCG QD about a week ago and hope I can keep or increase mt weight. Thanks for posting your results.

• Jerry Genesio

May 15, 2020 at 2:36 pm

Dave – I hope your weight remains steady. Weight loss is my greatest concern. I, too, have been on EGCG for about a week with no weight loss so far and no other adverse reactions either. Thanks for posting your progress. I’ll be interested in what you have to report a month from now..

• Dave

May 15, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Hi Jerry and thanks! The articles I have read on weight loss and EGCG seem to indicate that some weight loss can occur but when combined with intake of higher levels of caffeine. I do drink one cup of coffee most days, but I think higher levels than that are used to facilitate weight loss and even then weight loss is not always an out come or significant. Will keep you posted and blessings to you on your journey!

• Charlene Marshall

May 16, 2020 at 11:03 am

Thanks so much for sharing Dave! I’m glad you haven’t had any adverse/difficult side effects, and that your saturation seems slightly improved, that is great. Keeping my fingers crossed that more quantitative data emerges from others using the extract as well. Thanks for sharing!
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

May 16, 2020 at 11:04 am

@golfed

Hi Ed,
    Thank you so much for sharing these results with us. So far, everyone has reported some positive news from the extract so it is nice to hear your experience as well. Please continue to update us… we so appreciate it. Take care.
    Charlene.

• Rene Hakkenberg

May 17, 2020 at 10:31 am

In order to be able to draw the most meaningful conclusions  of taking EGCG, I would suggest to all of us using EGCG and that are reporting results thereof in this forum to add as many details as possible, such as what lung disease you have, since when, taking Esbriet, Ofev or neither, whether or not you experienced weight loss and length of time taking the extract. With these details we will be better informed to draw meaningful conclusions. For instance, it could be that EGCG works for one disease but not for another. Thank you and let’s hope it works for all of us.

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

May 17, 2020 at 12:36 pm

My husband was diagnosed with IPF in 2014.  He has been on Esbriet since January 2015.  He started the EGCG 2 weeks ago and not for the weight loss, though that would be nice, but for the same results as the study was showing.  He has an appointment with his pulmonologist this week and I will report back either way if their are changes whether good or bad.

• Dave

May 17, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Hi Rebecca! Your husband seems to have had great results with the Esbriet so far. I hope he and the rest of us see positive benefits from the EGCG as well!

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

May 17, 2020 at 3:46 pm

He has had great results considering the fact that shortly before he was diagnosed, he couldn’t even walk a few feet without panting and needing to sit down.  Obviously he is still battling this horrible disease but from October 2014 to now?  I consider a huge victory for him as well as his Pulmonologist said my husband is the Pulmonolgist’s poster child as well as the Pulmonologist’s associates.  The green tea extract is just another step for making my husband’s life a little easier.  It can not hurt him but only with God’s Will, help him as well as all of those suffering from this disease if the extract can help. Unless someone can prove that it will hurt those suffering from this disease, I will make sure he stays on it.

• Edward Brownstein

May 17, 2020 at 7:50 pm

I haven’t heard of any adverse effects from those of us who have been taking the extract.Not sure if its the real deal, I do know I’m 85 with ipf and taking Ofev since December and my oxygen saturation has increased 2 to 3 percent. I can’t see any downside by trying it.

Wishing everyone well

Ed.Brownstein

• Lou Body IV

May 20, 2020 at 8:49 am

I have begun taking Decaffeinated EGCG Extract from Vitacost, 325.25mg of EGCG per capsule. I recognize this is 25% less than the Teavigo dose. My intention is to see if I have any side effects like a rocky stomach, etc. After a week, so far, so good. However, a nurse told me to take pills with food for maximum Bioavailability so this is how I’ve taken EGCG. Dave wrote that he read to take the dose with water and no food. Is the nurse all wet or does it really matter how it’s taken? I take Esbriet and wouldn’t dare not take it with food.

• Dave

May 20, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Hi Lou! Great to hear you are tolerating the EGCG so far. I too am taking Esbriet and I do that with food about 1-2 hours after taking the EGCG with no food. The issue of bioavailability is interesting to me. I feel somewhat like a blind man feeling my way through a maze of research and various information channels. After reading your post,  I did contact the company I bought EGCG from and he referred me back to the article I had posted on this board indicating that food degrades the bioavailability of EGCG. The article indicated that taking the EGCG on an empty stomach with only water was 2.7 times more effective than taking it with food. I am not a doctor, nurse, nor scientist so I can only go by what I read. It would be interesting to see what the nurse thought after reading the article. Perhaps someone on this thread can print the article and take it to their Dr or nurse for comment/ interpretation. While there is a lot of interest in the effects of EGCG on many conditions, there is still so much that is not known. It seems that there is great benefit potential, but the current delivery methods are not optimal to get the full benefit of this and other natural supplements such as curcumin. It is frustrating to all of us to be so close to a seemingly good thing and not be able to maximize its usefulness! Still feeling my way along.

• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

May 20, 2020 at 2:53 pm

My husband has been on the EGCG for about a month now.  He had an appointment set up to see his Pulmonologist this past Monday, the 18th.  Unfortunately, it was a teleconference appointment in which we had no clue that this was the way he would see his Pulmonologist.  To me it was totally worthless since there was no vitals taken, no Pulmonary function test taken so what was the point?  The Pulmonologist saw his blood work my husband had done on May 1st.  Asking him over the phone how he feels is not reliable to me.  I’m a little frustrated and now we are leaving out of the state till October so will not be seeing the doctor until November where he will take a Pulmonary Function test.  I can not tell you anything in regards to my husband taking the Green Tea Extract other then he feels good and it does not bother him with sleeping or notice any weight loss.  I wish I could tell you more.  I’m hoping those on this post who are taking it will have more information.

• Dave

May 20, 2020 at 3:08 pm

Hi Rebecca! So sorry for the frustrating Dr. appointment. I was also eagerly awaiting your report on your husbands visit! I don’t go back for any significant tests until Mid October, so probably won’t have anything quantitative to report for awhile. The good thing about that is it will reflect 4+ months of taking EGCG. I will have a liver panel blood draw soon and if anything unusual (positive or negative) shows up I will report it. I am also looking at adding Curcumin to my approach having read the the two together enhance another.

Page 3 of 6