• Rebecca Schrantz-Lilly

May 20, 2020 at 3:20 pm

Dave, I will say this about my husband and what he takes.  He has been on Curcumin since spring of 2015.  He had a C-Reactive Protein test done on May 1st and his inflammation in his body has reduced to a normal level.  I tribute that to the Curcumin and I believe that is a plus when having inflammation in the lungs.  My opinion only but my husband is not getting worse and it has been 6 years now.  I totally believe in Curcumin!

• Steve Dragoo

January 7, 2021 at 7:34 pm

@rebecca-shrantz-lilly

Hi Rebecca,

I have read a number of times that taking curcumin with fresh ground black pepper and a little oil like good olive oil can increase the bioavailability up to 2000%. That’s a dramatic increase.  Hope this helps your husband.

Steve

• Dave

May 20, 2020 at 4:57 pm

@rebecca-schrantz-lilly

Rebecca…that is incredible! How much Curcumin does he take, and with or without food?

• Charlene Marshall

May 23, 2020 at 9:40 am

Thank you for sharing with us what you can Rebecca, it is greatly appreciated! I can imagine your frustration with the teleconference meeting vs. an in-person one, I’m so sorry that was your experience. Is there any opportunity to ask that he be on a cancellation/call-back list to potentially get an appointment before October? Fingers crossed his PFTs are still positive. Thanks for writing to us.
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

May 23, 2020 at 9:43 am

This is a really good suggestion @renehakkenberg and a great way to compile some quantitative and qualitative data, I just may need to put my head together about how to do this. I may be able to create a shared spreadsheet for those who are taking EGCG and want to compile their results, so we can track it all in one spot. I’ll have to give this some thought, as I don’t know if I have the capacity to monitor it but I’d be happy to create it. Let me seek some clarification from our Forums Director and get back to you! Keep on me about this though so I remember ok? I am juggling lots right now! 🙂
    Cheers,
    Char.

• Luke R Matthews

July 14, 2020 at 11:14 am

@Dave @Charlene
    thank you for your post on bioavailability of EGCG. Could you tell me whether you Talked to Healthy Origins or Teavigo concerning taking EGCG without food? I also take Healthy Origins with 150 mg of Teavigo. The directions state to take with a meal. I have already switched to taking it without meals but would be interested in the link to the article you mentioned. Also do you take two Capsules twice a day or four capsules all at once? I have been taking mine 2x per day.
    Thank you. Luke

• Luke R Matthews

July 14, 2020 at 11:16 am

I found your link to the article Dave. Thank you.

Luke

• Lou Body IV

July 14, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Hi all!

I’m back to a point where I could start taking EGCG again. I had to stop a few months ago to sort out a non-related issue. I know Charlene is trying to get a data assimilation plan started but that’s about all I’ve seen. Has anyone had any good or not so good results these past 3 months while on EGCG? Is the interest in it still high or has it waned for some reason. Thanks,

Lou

• Dave

July 14, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Lou… welcome back! I have no news to report other than I am still taking 600 mg of EGCG daily (all at once on an empty stomach with water only. I wait 2 hours before any other meds or food.) No weight loss to date. No negative side effects.

• Charlene Marshall

July 15, 2020 at 7:51 pm

@lou4

Hi Lou,

Thank you so much for writing and letting us know how you’re doing. Nice to hear from you!

BioNews Insights (our research team) is almost done finalizing the survey to compile some data assimilation and we’ve had a conversation with the lead investigator of the original EGCG study as well (he is out of UCSF). He gave us some good direction for this project, and appreciate everyone willing to participate. Right now, we’re looking to gather a control group so we can begin 🙂

Thanks again for connecting and checking in on the status of the EGCG conversation. Hope you’re doing better!
    Sincerely
    Charlene.

• Mona Klein

July 16, 2020 at 11:26 am

Question can you take ecgc when you are take Ofev?

• Rand O'Brien

July 16, 2020 at 2:19 pm

I’ve been taking the Amazon capsules, forgot which one, at present Zenwise for about 6 wks. Thecapsules look the same as the ealier bottle with the same emount of ECGC. Bottle recommendation is 2/day, I take 2 twice/day. About 2-3 wks. into them I had my first 97% on the Oximeter, usually running at about 95, sometimes down to 92. Consistently O2 is now 96, 4-5 times per week 97 and once per week 98%. Really haven’t changed my routine beyond that. I have my pulmonary test next week, so we’ll see how my official numbers change from 11/19. Who knows, but something has shifted slightly.
    Rand O’Brien

• Charlene Marshall

July 19, 2020 at 9:15 am

@rlobrien

Hi Rand,

This is great to hear, thanks so much for sharing. How did your PFT go, or are they coming up next week? Would love to hear 🙂

Happy to hear about the seemingly improved 02 saturations. Would you be willing to participate in our EGCG project as an experimental participant, to report these findings? Basically we’re looking at conducting a longitudinal survey to track the effect of EGCG on patients using experimental and control groups. We’re just looking to recruit for the control group and then we can launch the survey. We developed it with advice from the lead investigator on the EGCG New England Journal of Medicine study at UCSF. Please let me know, but of course no pressure! I’m just happy to read this update from you.

Sincerely,
    Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

July 19, 2020 at 9:45 am

@mklein

Hi Mona,

Thanks so much for writing — good question. I don’t believe EGCG is harmful to those taking anti-fibrotics, simply based on others’ reporting their doctors are okay with it and I know some forum members have been on both EGCG and Ofev. However, it is important to note that I am not a physician so I can’t ultimately give advice on this. Would it be possible to ask your doctor about this, so you feel comfortable with his/her answer and how to proceed?

Sincerely,
    Charlene.

• Patricia Williams

October 5, 2020 at 9:00 am

Has anyone had a good result from their dr after taking the EGCG for several months. I called the Teavigo company and a young man there recommended Healthy Origins teavigo. I am taking that, so we will see.

• Stu

October 6, 2020 at 11:26 am

Does anyone know if Teavigo was taken once or twice a day in the study. They mention the dosage of 600mg of EGCG per day but they don’t really go into how it was administered.

• Dave

October 6, 2020 at 12:29 pm

The study states a 600mg dose daily for 14 days. I read that as taken 1 time daily. Another study I read on the bioavailability of EGCG showed highest availability was achieved when taken without food (ie, first thing in the morning after fasting at night. I take 600mg of TEAVIGO each morning along with 325mg of Curcumin. I also take the Curcumin at night.

• Gregory Dixon

October 6, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Dave, thanks for your post. I’m doing much the same as you regarding the EGCg. I take 4 capsules of Teavigo by Healthy Origins each morning on an empty stomach. Though the study in the NEJM was conducted over a 14 day period, I have continued this dosage over a 5 month period. Have discussed this with my internist and two pulmonologist eliciting only shrugs. None had read the study nor did they seem interested.

• Don Graybill

October 6, 2020 at 2:51 pm

I’ve been taking caffeine free EGCG Green Tea Extract (300 mg with breakfast and dinner daily) for about five months to combat IPF.  I have no evidence that it has helped or not helped my IPF, but I have had no weight loss during this time.

• Judy Fraser

October 6, 2020 at 3:00 pm

I’ve been taking 600 mg of EGCG Teavigo by Healthy Origins for about 5 months, each night before bedtime. I make sure to not eat anything after dinner so that I have an empty stomach when I take it. (I take thyroid and another supplement on my early morning empty stomach and didn’t want to mix them.) I saw my pulmonologist last week and my breathing numbers had improved somewhat and CT scan showed no progression in last 6 months. I’m not taking Ofev or Esbriet and doc says that my IPF seems to be a mild case. He also said that the ECGC and NAC that I’m taking “might” be helping. I just made an appointment to go to the ILD center at UCLA for another opinion.

• Charles

October 6, 2020 at 3:06 pm

My wife has been taking Esbriet for 3 1/2 years. She begin taking 600 mg daily of  Teavigo by Healthy Origins 4 months ago. She had a liver test last week and there were no issues. As always stated, this is not medical advice, just information about one individual.

I appreciate reading information on this site and pass what is relevant to her along to my wife. Thanks to everyone who posts and shares their experiences. It is very helpful.

• Charlene Marshall

October 6, 2020 at 7:25 pm

@stulef

Hi Stu,

Thanks for writing – good question, and thanks to everyone who provided some insight here in terms of the study. When BioNews Insights (our research division) was looking at launching a longitudinal questionnaire on patients with PF who are taking EGCG, I corresponded with Dr. Hall who was one of the principal investigators of the NEJM study. In one of our correspondences, he wrote to me verbatim:  “Encourage anyone taking EGCG to use a single morning dose of 600 as opposed to multiple smaller doses over a 24 hr period”.

Hope this helps?

Charlene.

Thanks also for sharing your experiences @6whitehorses , @gregldixon , @dongraybill , @judyf and @charles

• Dave

October 6, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Gregory, Don, Judy, Charles and all others on this EGCG/IPF journey: I do not expect that any of us will receive much encouragement from the established medical community because of liability issues and the scarcity of clinical studies regarding these supplements. We are, in a real sense, on our own for this part of the journey. Heck, no-one can even tell us individually if Esbriet or Ofev are actually working for us. We do the best we can and live our best life. We share with one another what seems or doesn’t seem to be working for us. We are on this curious and baffling journey together! We are all living on God’s time.  I appreciate and value each of you, your experiences, and insights! To Infinity, and Beyond! Dave

• Charlene Marshall

October 6, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Hi Patricia,

We hope to release some data re: the experiences of IPF/PF patients taking EGCG from the longitudinal questionnaire we’ve developed. I don’t know when the information will be released, but hopefully it provides some insight into their experience. I don’t have personal experience to share, but I would also be curious if others do after seeing their doctors.

• Lou Body IV

October 6, 2020 at 7:49 pm

I have read many emails today on EGCG and Green Tea. A number of you take it but no one seems to mention tests or results. I took it for awhile and it seemed to be a non-event. I noticed nothing good or bad. I mentioned it to my pulmonologist at Mayo Clinic and he suggested I not take it and simply stick to Esbriet because he is quite firm in his opinion that Esbriet works and, more importantly, works for me.

I have been waiting patiently to see if anyone has taken EGCG and then had any tests done to confirm that it is helping. Unless I’ve missed something, I don’t believe there have been any concrete results. My feeling is that if a few of you pioneers out there are having documented success, then we need to know. Results count more than taking it and hoping it works.

Lou

Page 4 of 6