• Dave

October 6, 2020 at 9:27 pm

@lou4

Lou: Good to hear from you again! I started taking the EGCG Soon after the article came out about 5 months ago. I have not have any CT scans nor other tests since before then so I have no way to know if it is helping. Likewise, I have no way to know if taking Esbriet is helping me. In the aggregate, Esbriet is supposed to slow progression. Who knows if it is really working or not? I have not had any negative results from either Esbriet nor EGCG so I will continue with both. If I ever get any test results or CT scans I will certainly report results! Grace and Peace!

• Ron

October 9, 2020 at 1:18 am

I began the extract in late April 2020. I started with two 150Mg capsules of Teavigo twice  a day (2 morn, 2 eve) for a total of 600Mg a day.

Over a period of a month I was able go from 3 lpm O2 24/7 to no O2 (4 months later I added 1.5 lpm O2 at night to my CPAP line as an an experiment and found I awoke more clear headed. This improvement was quite subtle and may not have been noticed if I had not been looking for it.)

In the fifth month I got caught up on posts here and changed to taking the capsules on a  empty stomach. I also reduced my total daily dose to 300mg. (150mg morn and eve). During the five months my health improved a lot. I was breathing easily, my pulse ox was consistently reading in the 95-100% range, I could climb the stairs to the second floor effortlessly without SOB.

I had a Medicare prescribed health exam by my PCP on Monday of this week and a office visit to my pulmonologist on Wednesday. This is my 6th month with Teavigo. Both commented that the crackles seem softer in their stethoscopes. I had a PFT and the technician said there was considerable improvement in lung function over the test in early March.

The pulmonologist is ordering a CTscan. I can’t wait to get the result from the scan.

• Dave

October 9, 2020 at 7:25 am

Ron: These are incredible and encouraging  results! Congratulations!!! Looking forward to hearing the report from your CT scan! Blessings!

• Lou Body IV

October 9, 2020 at 7:56 am

Ron:
    That is absolutely great news. To my knowledge, it’s the 1st time we’ve heard really positive results from someone who began ECGC as a result of the study. Please keep us posted and, to all of the others who take EGCG, tell us your results, too. Good, bad or indifferent, everyone wants to know. It’s like a dark hole when this sight is not lit up with continuous, as opposed to infrequent, posts.
    Thanks,

Lou

• Charlene Marshall

October 12, 2020 at 9:29 am

Hi Ron,

Thank you for sharing your results with EGCG, that is great news to hear! I hope you continue to see improvement, and I know many will appreciate your post as we’re all looking for some tangible metrics to measure any type of improvement before and after the use of EGCG. Stay safe, and thanks for writing.
    Charlene.

• Joy Hoffmann

October 12, 2020 at 4:04 pm

I have been taking 2 green tea extracts for about 3 months. Not sure if it helps or not.

• JOSE AUGUSTO DA SILVA TITO

October 13, 2020 at 5:23 pm

My father, Waldir Tito, started taking in 07/10/2020 the EGCG of 200mg per day.

• Judy Fraser

October 13, 2020 at 6:35 pm

I have been taking 600 mg of ECGC for 6 months. Just had a CT scan and breathing tests; my CT scan showed no progression in the last 6 months and my breathing was slightly improved. But how can we know if it was the ECGC that caused the improvement? What would have been the result if I hadn’t been taking it? For that matter, how can anyone taking any of the other meds know what would have been the outcome if they hadn’t been taking it? We’re all in some giant experiment.

October 14, 2020 at 11:49 am

My Father is taking since 07/10/2020 Green Tea Extract 500mg – Capsule with 60% catechins and 40% EGCG Epigallocatechin Gallate.

I know it’s a few days to evaluate, but my father is already more disposed to perform the physiotherapy, he’s eating again and sleeping better. He is happier and getting less tired. We are noticing an improvement in my Father’s health. Thank God!

We purchased the Green Tea at: https://www.innovaformula.com.br/online-store/Cha-Verde-Extrato-Seco-500mg-C%C3%A1psula-p85189067

• Charlene Marshall

October 18, 2020 at 3:28 pm

@augusto-tito

Hi Jose,

That is great news about your Dad, I’m so glad he’s starting to feel a bit better. Sleeping and eating well are so important for managing this disease! I’d be curious to hear more about how your Dad is going on the green tea extract after he’s been on it a little longer. Please feel free to keep us updated and best wishes to you and your Dad!
    Sincerely,
    Char.

October 19, 2020 at 9:49 am

Olá Charlene,

Todos os dias meu pai tem uma melhor resistência física. Ele voltou a comer carne e feijão. Nossa família e amigos estão felizes com sua boa evolução após o início do EGCG.

• Charlene Marshall

October 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm

@augusto-tito

Oi Jose! Estou muito feliz em ouvir essa notícia sobre seu pai. Espero que ele continue bem e se sinta um pouco melhor a cada dia. Por favor, mantenha contato e me diga como ele está. Eu estarei pensando em vocês dois. Charlene.

• Randy Mauzy

October 22, 2020 at 3:35 pm

I began taking “Pure Encapsulations” brand of Teavigo Green Tea Supp (EGCG) , no caffeine, at a rate of 900 mg per day 5 months ago.  The best I can determine that is the average safe limit from several respected studies. So far my liver and kidney enzymes show no change so I feel comfortable with that dose, no side effects or weight loss.  I take EGCG only on an empty stomach (5 hours without food).

Historically, I took Esbriet for the first year then was switched to Ofev about a year ago. My PFT’s steadily declined although less so on Ofev.  I had a PFT about the time I started EGCG and one a week ago (4 month interval). The tests showed NO decline between the two, for the first time ever. Performed slightly better on the six minute walk test (extra 20 meters).

From an O2 standpoint, I can maintain 98 % saturation with 2 lpm versus 3.5 lpm (at rest) before starting the EGCG.  Less improvement on O2 with activity.

Will be interested to see how the next PFT turns out, but so far I am encouraged.

Randy

• Charlene Marshall

October 26, 2020 at 10:50 am

Hi @randymauzy

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with EGCG! I know many patients are curious to learn more about this, and I look forward to the results of the longitudinal questionnaire PF News is doing to capture the experience of several patients taking this supplement. I’ll be sure to share the results when I can. I’m glad you’re encouraged thus far, and if you think about it, please circle back and let us know the result(s) of your next PFTs. Goodluck and thanks for writing!
    Charlene.

• Ron

October 27, 2020 at 1:17 am

Charlene,

How do I get in on the survey you mentioned several times.? My results with Teavigo have been very encouraging.

On another subject: Thanks for responding to all those who have shared their stories. I  know we all would like to thank them, but it’s best if one thanks on behalf of all of us than to choke the forum with numerous thank you messages. You seem to be right there first up which is nice.

I continue to do very well with my breathing. My last visit to the pulmonologist was rather brief. He clearly was running way behind as my 2:15 pm appointment didn’t start until 4:20 and I sort of got the bum’s rush as he worked to get through his afternoon patients. He didn’t even review my PFT with me but fortunately, the tech previously told me what I needed to know. My results were significantly better than last time. I didn’t get the six-minute hike through the office either. (I  handled that by having my grandson walk me through the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. Only stopped briefly (one minute more or less). No SOB… just some ankle pain. Forgot the pulse ox.)

As for the pulmonologist: I was disappointed we didn’t discuss my case in-depth, but I understand considering how far behind he was and his staff needed to go home to their families sometime before the kids are in bed. As for me, if it ain’t broke, no need to discuss fixin’ anything.

My daughter drives me, otherwise, I would always ask for morning appointments. She has kids too… at home on e-learning classes and needs to be home to keep them engaged in their lessons. Dad works at home but is useless when it comes to helping the kids lessons. So all my appointments are in the afternoon.

Judging from the reports I have seen here and my own experience, it appears that ECGC therapy may prove very effective at stopping IPF progression.

• Wayne Nelson

October 27, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Where do we get this tea extract?

• Randy Mauzy

October 27, 2020 at 3:26 pm

@barb-n-wayne-nelson

Wayne

Get mine on Amazon

Randy

• Judy Fraser

October 27, 2020 at 3:54 pm
  • Charlene Marshall

October 28, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for writing, it’s nice to hear from you!

I’m so glad to hear your results with EGCG have been encouraging. The longitudinal survey that PF News is working on was launched a couple of months ago, and closed to new participants as of right now. I look forward to sharing the results when I can, though 🙂

I’m so pleased to hear that you’re doing well and that your recent visit with the pulmonologist didn’t reveal anything of concern, albeit a brief visit. I will keep my fingers crossed that this continues for you for many more years. Did your doctor have any thing to contribute/say about the EGCG and your slowing progression? I’m always curious to hear what doctor’s think of this supplement.

Keep in touch and thanks again for writing. I’m so grateful for the many members of this forum, like you, who share their experiences and how they’re doing with all of us. Take good care!
    Char.

• Don Erich

August 5, 2023 at 11:58 am

Hi Charlene. Were the results of the longitudinal survey that PF News was working on ever published? Can you share them?

I saw that another study assessing ECGC effects on patients currently receiving treatment for IPF was supposed to start on August 1st. Here is the link to that study

https://classic.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT05195918

Regards, Don

• Charlene Marshall

August 28, 2023 at 7:54 am

Hi Don ( @done )

I’m not sure what the results of the longitudinal survey were, as I ended up coming off that project and I’m not sure it was brought to fruition. I also believe there was a lot of attrition through the data collection period You could email [email protected] and see if they could provide any additional information for you? I believe Pilant Therapeutics are revisiting EGCG benefits and I’d seek out information there as my primary source. Sorry I don’t have more insight to share!
        Take care,
        Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

October 28, 2020 at 9:00 pm

Good question @judyf re: the EGCG! You’re right, until more studies or even quantitative data is captured on patient’s experience with this supplement, it is hard to attribute any positives to the EGCG itself. Hopefully in the near future, some credible data is shared for us to feel a little more certain about it being effective for us. I look forward to that day! Char.

• Ron

October 30, 2020 at 3:41 am

Charlene,

I asked my pulmonologist if he had read or heard any more about green tea extract or EGCG as a treatment (remember at my last visit he nodded approval to try it and was aware of the NEJM article. At that time he said he wanted to know my experience at my next appointment.)

His response was rather curt. He said he doesn’t get time to keep up on all the literature. I write that off as he being under pressure to catch up on appointments and had no discretionary time to chat. We may get into that at my next appointment when I hope is not running late.

Ron

• Charlene Marshall

October 30, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Hi Ron,

Thanks for writing and providing us an update on how the conversation went with your pulmonologist. I can imagine they’re very busy, but it is unfortunate you didn’t have a chance to talk to him about it if you wanted to. Hopefully next time, and that he isn’t running late. I’m always curious what physicians think about the EGCG and the NEJM study.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Charlene.

• Bruce Hawn

March 25, 2021 at 3:27 pm

I have been taking Green Tea Extract for about a year now. My thought is that it can only help.  I have lost weight, but I am overweight and have been trying to lose weight.  I do not believe that the Green Tea Extract has assisted in my weight loss, unless it somehow helps increases will power to cheat on diet or sticking with regular exercise.  I have been on diets before I was diagnosed with IPF, and before I started taking the extract and do not believe that I am losing weight at an increased rate.

• Dave

April 1, 2021 at 10:52 am

Pliant Therapeutics (leaders of the original study along with the University of California) are continuing a trial with EGCG.

• Charlene Marshall

April 1, 2021 at 9:27 pm

@6whitehorses

Hi Dave,

Yes, I’d heard rumblings about Pliant trying to replicate or continue with the EGCG study when I spoke to one of their staff recently. If you came across any details of their study, do you mind sending it to me via email or posting here? I’d like to keep a pulse on this one!
      Thanks,
      Char.

Page 5 of 6