Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PF 30 Days of PF: My Diagnosis Brought Peace of Mind

• 30 Days of PF: My Diagnosis Brought Peace of Mind

Posted by christie on September 9, 2021 at 2:34 pm

This is Latoya Hawkins’ story: After struggling with a chronic cough for years, Latoya was diagnosed with PF in 2019. She was prescribed oxygen, which made her disability more visible, but she says that her diagnosis liberated her! The long search for answers, and all the uncertainty were over. Finally having a name for her illness brought her peace of mind and allowed her to adjust her lifestyle.

While her disease has led to some unpleasant lifestyle changes–like foregoing vacations–Latoya has found that she takes pride in maintaining her home independently. In fact, she says that accommodations spurred by the pandemic have helped her live more comfortably at home. Curbside pickup and delivery of necessities, along with a flexible work-from-home schedule are some of the ways things that help Latoya live independently with PF.

I bet many of us in the rare disease community have enjoyed the benefits of our society working to accommodate more people at home!
    I hope that accommodations continue, and we care more for disabled and chronically ill folks even after the pandemic settles.

Latoya also said that she enjoys connecting with others in the PF community in online support groups, since she hasn’t met anyone in real life that shares her diagnosis. Let’s continue the conversation and welcome Latoya to our forums! 🙂

christie replied 2 years, 7 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.