Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Treatments and Science Clinical Trials Another Benefit of Esbriet for Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis.

• Another Benefit of Esbriet for Patients with Pulmonary Fibrosis.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 31, 2018 at 2:56 am

Are you a seasonal allergy sufferer on top of living with pulmonary fibrosis (PF)?

Do you take Esbriet for the management of your lung disease?

If so, recent results from a study out of the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) might be appeal to you. A research poster presented by Brett Ley, MD (pulmonologist) recently outlined these findings at the 2018 American Thoracic Society International Conference. Below is an excerpt from a column published on our main Pulmonary Fibrosis News site regarding this study:

Seasonal flares of disease activity that can lead to idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) patients being hospitalized, especially in the winter months, appear to be effectively countered by treatment with Esbriet (pirfenidone) compared to placebo, a new retrospective analysis of data from Phase 3 clinical trials shows.

More information can be found by reading the full column on Pulmonary Fibrosis News.

If you currently take Esbriet and find yourself a sufferer of seasonal allergies, have you noticed an improvement in your allergy-related symptoms since taking this medication? 

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • matthew-swan

November 3, 2019 at 10:09 pm

I have been taking Esbriet for 12 months and haven’t had a lung sited illness in this period. Plenty of sinusitis but no lung based coughing.

• Charlene Marshall

November 5, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Hi Matthew,

Thanks so much for writing and giving us an update on how you’re tolerating Esbriet. That is great news! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that your lungs remain clear of infection or viruses.
    Take care,
    Charlene.

• matthew-swan

November 6, 2019 at 1:01 am

As an Aussie Vietnam Veteran I receive all of my medications and medical treatment for everything for free. Lucky me. It, Esbriet is also available for $6.50 if you are on a pension, or $29.50 on Medicare. It retails for $3087 per 30 days here.

• Charlene Marshall

November 7, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Wow, that is an astronomical price Matthew! I am also glad you’re not having to pay for this out of pocket, and that you receive the medications for free. Thank you for your service.
    Charlene.