Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Stopping Ofev and transitioning

• Stopping Ofev and transitioning

Posted by Rajesh Subramanian on March 26, 2021 at 2:07 pm

PF Members,

I’m planning to stop Ofev for my Mother, since the side effects is intolerable for her, especially GI issues. She already stopped it 2 days back and now slowly started to get back her cough, which was not there all these time when she was on Ofev. We are planning to change to Homeopathy, but during the transition not sure how to handle the coughing. Homeopathy will take time to take effect. My mother is not able to tolerate the coughing. Is there any way to mange this coughing without Ofev and less GI issues? Any suggestion on this is highly appreciated.

Rajesh.

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Charlene Marshall

March 28, 2021 at 9:23 am

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for starting this topic thread, though I’m really sorry your Mother’s cough has returned after stopping Ofev. I haven’t had experience with stopping the drug so I’m afraid I don’t have too much personal insight to share here…. does anyone else? I think it is worth talking to her doctor about some cough remedies. Some members of the forum have mentioned some over-the-counter cough medicines or sore throat candies are effective, or the drug Gabapentin, but you need to discuss these options with a physician as they know your Mother’s care best. Let us know if anything is recommended and/or effective for her.
    Take care,
    Charlene.

• Rajesh Subramanian

March 30, 2021 at 11:00 am

Charlene,

Thanks for your suggestions. Discussed with physician and got cough syrup to control the cough. This forum really helped me to get a better understanding of the disease management. Thanks for doing this.

Rajesh.

• Charlene Marshall

March 30, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Hi Rajesh,

I’m so happy to hear the forums are proving helpful and that your doctor was open to cough syrup to help you. I hope it does! Please continue to ask any questions or contribute to the discussion on the forums as you need. We’re here fro you!
        Charlene.

• Marianne

March 28, 2021 at 10:30 am

Hi Rajesh –

Have no idea.  I find it interesting that the Ofev stopped your mother’s cough.  I have been on Ofev about 1 1/2 years now but it has not stopped my cough.  I also have acid reflux so that might be part of the reason for my cough but my doctors have stated the cough is from IPF.  Actually my cough has been getting more frequent.  I have more issues with the cough  when talking or later in the day.  I do not take any cough medicine.  I sometimes use various cough drops or use candies – like Lifesavers.  I also drink water frequently.  Often times I will heat a cup of water and drink the warm water which seems to help my throat.

Marianne

• Rajesh Subramanian

March 30, 2021 at 11:05 am

Marianne,

Yes, Ofev reduced my Mother’s cough to a great extent. Occasionally she still coughs but whenever she is hungry or situations like that. Again not sure how Ofev affects each individual, it may be the reason for different cough results in different individuals. Thanks for your suggestions.

Rajesh.

• Fred Schick

March 30, 2021 at 3:45 pm

I have off Ofev and Esbriet for two years and have found that sugar-free menthol cough drops such as Halls or Walgreens, reduces the cough and the frequency of the cough.  I carry these cough drops in my pocket so I can take one as soon as I feel like a cough is coming. I did not have success with commercially available cough medicines.

• Rajesh Subramanian

March 30, 2021 at 5:01 pm

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your inputs. Sounds like an easy way. Also wondering how you are managing PF without Ofev or Esbriet, please let me know. I am under the impression that only these 2 tablets are available out there for PF.

Rajesh.