Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge World “No Tobacco” Day

• World “No Tobacco” Day

Posted by Christie Patient on May 31, 2022 at 3:00 am

May 31st is World No Tobacco Day. I’ve always been averse to smoking. I inherited a dislike for the habit from my parents, who when I was growing up, would make no secret of their disgust when forced to share space with a smoker in public. In fact, the very first fight I ever had with my husband was when I caught him sharing a cigarette at a college party. I had vowed never to date a smoker, and I felt duped because I was head over heels before his social habit was revealed. Twelve years later and it’s still something we argue about.

Since my mom was diagnosed with IPF in 2018, I have lost my tolerance for public smokers. I used to think “live and let live”, but since my mom would just about keel over at the first hint of smoke inhalation before her lung transplant, I started to think of it as more than an inconsiderate activity to enjoy in public. More like, “live and put others at serious risk”. No, thank you, very much.

How do you feel about others using tobacco in public? Were you a smoker before you were diagnosed with IPF? Have you been able to kick the habit to protect your health? How do you feel about vaping vs. cigarette smoking?

Christie Patient replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jeff Taylor-Jackson

May 31, 2022 at 10:48 am

Hi Christie,

I think the one thing that really rattles my cage is that I have never smokedand I have IPF. I always thought of it as a monumental waste of time and money, to stain your teeth, make your breath smell like you have been eating cow dung and your clothes and house smell like the bottom of a sewer. So for a non-smoker to get IPF is the biggest annoyance to me.

I am constantly amazed at how many people smoke outside the hospital entrance, in most cases sitting under a sign that says “No smoking here, please use the area provided.” I also get totally wound up when I see the (I’m going to use a couple of English phrases here) Fag butts or dog ends thrown on the floor and trodden on to extinguish the cigarette, in some cases just thrown on the floor. The attitude must be that it’s not litter. Well, it is and I object to getting fag butts stuck to the soles of my shoes every time I walk into or out of the hospital. If I challenge anyone, I normally meet with abuse along the lines of “I have a right to smoke if I want to” I always reply “I also have a right not to breathe in that crap you are smoking”

Most of the time I try and avoid the confrontation. I only know to well that life is too short.

Vaping is not as bad, but was designed to wean people off of tobacco. It now is seen as big business alternative. I dont suspect that Vapers realise they will end up with popcorn lung as it is water vapour they are breathing in. Dont forget if you are breathing in or smelling smoke, then chances are its been in someone elses lungs. Covid has not gone away so be careful everyone.

Jeff in England.

• Christie Patient

June 19, 2022 at 5:38 pm

Hi Jeff @cleavergreen, Right there with ya! I can’t believe people have the nerve to smoke anywhere near a hospital. That always boggles my mind. And I agree with you about the butts. Just because they are “degradable” does not mean they are not litter.  Toilet paper is also degradable but [most of us] know better than to toss that into the streets for others to enjoy.

My mom also was a lifetime non-smoker before her IPF diagnosis. It’s frustrating indeed to have ended up with a lung disease after never having chosen to do anything that would increase your risk of lung disease.