6 Tips for Protecting Your Lungs

We only get one set of lungs so it’s imperative that we look after them. This is even more important with diseases that directly affect the lungs as it could help slow down the progression of the disease and ease the symptoms.  To help you take the best possible care of your lungs, we’ve put together a list of six tips using information from the American Lung Association.

Don’t smoke

Cigarette smoke is the leading cause of lung cancer and other serious lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and bronchiectasis. If you have an existing lung disease, smoking will only hasten the progression of the disease and worsen the symptoms.

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do to protect your lungs. If you find it difficult to quit on your own, ask your doctor for some practical help.

It’s estimated that 132,000 Americans are living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, yet very few people are aware of the disease.

1. Denise Rusmisel Johnson says:

My 83 year old mother died of Pulmonary Fibrosis in 2011. She had been a smoker but quit in approximately 1970. I would like to know if this disease is genetic; if it is one I should watch out for for myself. I’m 60, have occasional bouts with asthma and had pneumonia for the first time last Thanksgiving.

• Cheryl Kuehn says:

My Mother had it and now I have it and I never smoked but of course was exposed to second hand smoke. I was also a Cosmetologist so I imagine the fumes involved with that profession did some harm also.

2. Connie says:

The doctors tell me that mine is due to autoimmune disease. My Mom and bother and sister died from it. All that the doctors would say is that they must have also had an autoimmune disease

• Terri Cannon says:

My husband’s doctor said e-cigs are the worst for you. The nicotene is still released and those who smoke them are prone to pnuemonia along with all the other side effects of nicotene.

• Terry Turner says:

My husband’s Transplant Team said no to my daughter who will be one of his primary caregivers. They told her that little is known about the long term affects of the vapor (a chemical) on her lungs and they definately don’t want her using the E cigarette around my husband once he gets his new lungs.

3. Emily says:

I used the e cig.to stop smoking they worked great for that.I stopped smoking 4 years ago.been off th e_cig for 5 months now.so I feel good about that.I have COPD it is rough