6 Tips for Protecting Your Lungs

2.6
(5)

Prevent infection

Good hygiene and keeping up with yearly vaccinations against flu and pneumonia (if necessary) will help you avoid seasonal illnesses. Steer clear of others who are ill and wash your hands regularly. Keep workstations that are used by many people as sterile as possible.

Find out more about how pulmonary fibrosis affect patients and their loved ones.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 2.6 / 5. Vote count: 5

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

1. Denise Rusmisel Johnson says:

My 83 year old mother died of Pulmonary Fibrosis in 2011. She had been a smoker but quit in approximately 1970. I would like to know if this disease is genetic; if it is one I should watch out for for myself. I’m 60, have occasional bouts with asthma and had pneumonia for the first time last Thanksgiving.

• Cheryl Kuehn says:

My Mother had it and now I have it and I never smoked but of course was exposed to second hand smoke. I was also a Cosmetologist so I imagine the fumes involved with that profession did some harm also.

2. Connie says:

The doctors tell me that mine is due to autoimmune disease. My Mom and bother and sister died from it. All that the doctors would say is that they must have also had an autoimmune disease

• Terri Cannon says:

My husband’s doctor said e-cigs are the worst for you. The nicotene is still released and those who smoke them are prone to pnuemonia along with all the other side effects of nicotene.

• Terry Turner says:

My husband’s Transplant Team said no to my daughter who will be one of his primary caregivers. They told her that little is known about the long term affects of the vapor (a chemical) on her lungs and they definately don’t want her using the E cigarette around my husband once he gets his new lungs.

3. Emily says:

I used the e cig.to stop smoking they worked great for that.I stopped smoking 4 years ago.been off th e_cig for 5 months now.so I feel good about that.I have COPD it is rough

4. Barbara Alexander says:

I am 74 and was diagnosed a year and 1/2 ago with PF. I have been on Esbreit for a year now and feel that I am doing pretty well.Please put me on the mailing list for any news regarding advances in treatment and so forth.

5. DONNA LUIPPOLD says:

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FIBROSIS OF THE LUNGS IN DECEMBER 2016 I AM ON ESBRIET HAVING A HARD TIME BREATHING GAINED 70 POUNDS AND I AM VERY DEPRESSED DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO

• Kathleen greco says:

First thing Donna …lose wt. I too am over-wt & it’s a big issue with having IPF, it’s hard to diet but harder to walk around feeling awful ,out of breath & all the rest that goes with a lung disease.The sooner you start diet,exercise..walking..meditation & all that it takes to be healthy the less depressed you will feel. Maybe you just need to start with better eating, watching what you eat that alone will help depression but if need too there are meds for depression that are non-addicting..A plan for eating better & walking is enough to start. Good Luck…stay motivated…

6. allan boman says:

I HAVE HAD IPF FOR 3 years what has helped my is breathing exsercises suck in air until it trigers a violent cough expel air keep doing this until you can hold the air without coughing hold 5 seconds then expel air through pursed clamped togheter lips. Do this often.