MRG-201 Reversed Fibrosis in Mice, miRagen Says in Report for Conference

MRG-201 Reversed Fibrosis in Mice, miRagen Says in Report for Conference

MiRagen Therapeutics‘ MRG-201 has reversed fibrosis in mice with pulmonary fibrosis, according to a presentation the company prepared for the 76th annual meeting of the Society for Investigative Dermatology in Portland, Oregon.

The biopharmaceutical firm develops fibrosis treatments that target microRNAs, small molecules that control whether genes are switched on or off. The results miRagen will share at the conference, which started April 26 and ends April 29, will come from pre-clinical trial studies and ongoing Phase 1 trial of MRG-201.

MicroRNAs, also known as miRNAs, have attracted a lot research attention in recent years. Because they control genes’ on and off switches, they are involved in many disease processes. That has prompted researchers to develop treatments that target them.

Researchers believe microRNAs can be controlled to harness diseases such as lung fibrosis, or scarring.

MRG-201 is a synthetic miRNA agonist of microRNA-29b. It is designed to mimic the activity of the miR-29 molecule, which decreases the expression of collagen and other proteins involved in fibrosis.

“We are pleased to present biomarker-focused data on our anti-fibrosis product candidate MRG-201″ at the Portland conference, Dr. William S. Marshall, miRagen’s president and CEO, said in a press release. “The interim molecular and histology results from our ongoing Phase 1 study enhance our belief in the potential of MRG-201 as a therapeutic candidate for the treatment of pathological fibrosis.”

MiRagen’s Phase 1 trial (NCT02603224) is an ongoing, double-blind, placebo-controlled, single- and multiple dose-escalation evaluation of MRG-201’s effectiveness and safety. The goal of the trial is to determine whether MRG-201 can inhibit fibrosis formation. The study also aims to determine the maximum tolerated dose of the therapy.

The 70 healthy participants in the study are receiving single or multiple ascending doses of MRG-201 by injection or a placebo for up to 15 days. Researchers plan a follow-up for up to 28 days after the last dose.

Studies in lab settings and in rodent models indicate that MRG-201 can correct miRNA-29 activity that contributes to fibrosis. The treatment actually reversed fibrosis in a mouse model of pulmonary fibrosis, the company reported.

1. Mrs. Audrey Ifft says:

This ability to reverse fibrosis in your studies has given me
    hope for dealing with my case of IPF, and I look forward to
    reading more about the results of this study on mice.

2. Linda wysocki says:

It would be amazing if your drug could reverse fibrosis. I hope it does not take years and years to conclude the clinical trials. Are you recruiting for participants as I may be interested

3. John H Barnett says:

This is truly good news for IPF patients. Most other treatments only offer palliative results or merely slow the progress instead of halting or maybe even reversing the course of the disease. I look forward to reading more on this possible treatment as the results from trials become available

4. perry mcgee says:

I would love to be included in this phase 2 trial or phase 3.
    Believe it would be interesting and even helpful with my IPF.
    Even though my fibrosis has not progressed much in the past year, I sure would like to roll back any damage and maybe clear a lung or two.

Keep up the good work.

5. Ann squires says:

Are they looking for participants in the clinical trials ? We live on the east coast but ate willing to travel if there is even the remote chance it could help my husband’s PF.

6. Judy Jacobs says:

I, for one, would like to participate while I am still functioning well, before there is a lot of progression.

7. joan heinze says:

The FIBROSIS COMMUNITY NEEDS A CURE. OTHER THAN TRANSPLANT, WHICH IS A SERIOUS AND COMPLEX, SURGERY OFTEN ACCOMPANIED BY INFECTION AND/OR REJECTION, THERE IS NO HOPE FOR US BUT DIMISHING FUNCTION.
    PLEASE HELP US BY ACCELERATING TESTING OF MRG 20. Bring it to the market for pulmonary
    fibrosis ASAP.
    Tha k you
    Joan Heinze

• Tim Bossie says:

You’re right Joan. We do need to see a cure developed quickly. However, until then we have the option for a transplant – for those who can endure the process. Yes, there are risks involved, but many people have great success with this type of procedure.

8. Susan Scharmukschnis says:

I was just informed I have, IPF. I am going to have a biopsy done in Aug., I live in Ill.. I would be willing to be a ” Guinea Pig” for any drug/procedure with my Doctors ok.

9. Sandie says:

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP US! May it be soon a reality!
    WE EACH WANT TO LIVE, ENJOY OUR FAMILIES, AND CONTRIBUTE SO MUCH MORE. TY! TY! TY!
    God Bless You & this important work!