Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Biologic medications for symptom management

• Biologic medications for symptom management

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 24, 2023 at 10:00 am

Disclaimer: I was prescribed a biologic (subcutaneous injection) drug to help manage breathlessness that comes from an overproduction of eosinophils causing inflammation, not for the management of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). I am not endorsing this drug, and please ensure you understand it is not a treatment for IPF before asking your doctor about it.

In early 2023, I was prescribed a biologic usually used to treat eosinophilic asthma, which is often described as “adult-onset” asthma, rather than something that develops in childhood. It’s when the body overproduces eosinophils (a type of white blood cell) that causes inflammation in the lungs or bloodstream. That inflammation in my lungs is causing an increase in shortness of breath, worsened of course by IPF and the progression of fibrosis. I was reluctant to try the biologic, but my doctor said she’s had a lot of patients satisfied with their breathlessness reduction, along with reducing the number of inhalers they require. Again, this is not for treating IPF/PF but rather to help manage symptoms caused by lung inflammation.

Has anyone else been prescribed a biologic medication for this purpose?

If so, what has your experience been like? 

Charlene Marshall replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies
  • Rosanne Matzek

July 26, 2023 at 3:11 pm

I started a  anti eosinophil biologic over five years ago. During my lung biopsy they discovered eosinophils were infiltrating the lung tissue. However the biopsy wasn’t able to help them define my diagnosis. I have progressive pulmonary fibrosis with honeycombing but not the “usual” pattern of IPF.  The biologic and Esbriet have kept my progression slow.This spring after a anaphylactic reaction to acetaminophen an allergist suggested changing to a different biologic injected every two weeks. I test negative to all allergens. After three months my PFTs showed improvement. So I would give it a try.  You my be reacting to a unknown substance and the biologic might block the inflammation /reaction