Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Carer for brother with IPF

Tagged: 

• Carer for brother with IPF

Posted by Corrie on March 16, 2022 at 4:18 pm

Not sure how to address this but just need to know how I will I know when to address full time care as in the last 6 months he has deteriorated.His last lung function test went from 44% down to 19% he is living alone and isn’t on oxygen.We have a family history of this illness

Christie Patient replied 2 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Christie Patient

March 17, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Hi Corrie, it sounds like it might be time to talk about those things with his doctor. 19% is pretty dang low, and supplemental oxygen should definitely be prescribed already (I’m not a doctor, but from what I know from being in this world for three years… it’s past time for that). Are you your brother’s primary caregiver or closest family member? I’d advise scheduling an appointment with his doctor and going with him so that you can ask about in-home nursing, palliative care, and hospice. I know it’s hard to talk about, and scary, but it is much better to be prepared and have these tough talks earlier than later. Plus, getting a carer will alleviate stress on both you and your brother if he is living alone. A little bit of help goes a long way as PF progresses. If you’re looking for a push to start the conversation with him, this is it. Hope it helps.
    Christie