Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Serrapeptase and nattokinase and Ofev

• Serrapeptase and nattokinase and Ofev

Posted by amit on April 22, 2022 at 4:51 pm

Has anyone tried serrapeptase, nattokinase and Ofev with any success?

Also please could you let me know what strength of serrapeptase and nattokinase you’ve tried if it’s helped please?

Carol replied 4 months, 1 week ago 22 Members · 57 Replies
  • 57 Replies
  • denise-rousso

April 26, 2022 at 4:49 pm

What are serraopeptase and nattokinase? I have tried Ofev, 150 mg X day, then reduced to 100 mgXday. Side effects of diarrhea. Have stopped it now temporarily.

Denise Rousso

• neha

April 26, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Hi Amit, If it’s allowed on this forum, I’d like to share a small research study that looked at the effects of a 3 month supplementation of serrapeptase and nattokinase on people with PF. The treatment resulted in improved symptoms and quality of life in a majority of participants. Here is a link to the publication: https://www.mdpi.com/2305-6320/8/11/68

Hope you are able to find something that helps.

• amit

April 27, 2022 at 12:39 am

Hi Neha,

Thank you so much for sharing this.

• dianaj

November 25, 2022 at 3:05 pm

This is impressive. I’ve seen other studies as well. BUT, no one here is talking about the potential for developing pneumonia with serrapeptase. Is the chance very low? Is there something one could do to avoid getting pneumonia while on serrapeptase?

• steve-dragoo

April 28, 2022 at 9:45 pm

@amit,

I have been taking both for years but far apart from each other. Serrapeptase knocked out almost all mucus 4.5 years ago and I rarely have a problem.  I take 720,000 SU’s daily far, far away from food and especially any other medications/supplements. I don’t take ofev or any script for IPF which at 73 (in May) and IPF since Oct 2016, I am thankful.

Stay well,

Steve

• amit

April 29, 2022 at 1:26 am

Thanks for your reply and I’m so pleased you’re doing well.

• For the serrapeptase do you take 720,000 SU all in one go daily?
      • For the nattokinase how much of this do you take and how often?
      • Is there anything else you take as I’m willing to try anything.
      • steve-dragoo

April 29, 2022 at 3:30 am

@amit

Yes on the serrapeptase. Remember it dissolved protein which means it sees food and more importantly pills as protein and you do not want pills dissolving faster than they should. Had that happen once with metformin – wish it hadn’t happened.

Natto 2000 FU with other pills and food – once per day in the AM – if you are on blood thinners – caution natto is a blood cleaner which can make it a little thinner – never had a problem.

I take many things but diet water and starting the day right are vital. We start with a strong lemon Kalamansi over here with turmeric ginger honey olive oil and don’t eat or drink for 20+ minutes. Been doing it for years.

You need to research on your own any supplements you are considering. I take D3 K2 Fish Oil, ALA, Co-Q10, NAC Berberine, B-complex, baby aspirin, and magnesium for supplements lots of water and metformin, Omerproazle and Androgel because my pituitary does not work.

• amit

April 29, 2022 at 3:36 am

Thanks Steve,

This is super helpful. Really appreciate you sharing what’s working for you.

• steve-dragoo

April 29, 2022 at 4:42 am

There are a lot of foods to avoid that can help too.  But at my age I don’t worry about it that much and don’t eat a lot of meat anyways…

• steve-dragoo

April 29, 2022 at 6:24 pm

@amit,

I forgot an important supplement many take and there is a white paper somewhere on the forum. It is EGCG. The first time it didn’t seem to help much. This time 18 months later it seems to have helped a lot.

Another white paper about pterostilbene (basically blueberry concentrated a lot) was touted – took for a while but stopped because of my heart. Heart is better so I will try it again.

Again there are many things I will try/do. One that helps is intermittent fasting (for autophagy and mitochondria increase).

Hope these help you…

Steve

• amit

April 30, 2022 at 1:33 am

Thanks Steve, you’ve been so helpful sharing what works for you. I really do appreciate your kindness and raking the time to let me know.

• dianaj

November 25, 2022 at 3:05 pm

Are you taking a blood thinner?

• trueswing

May 2, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Where do you buy 720,000 of Serrapeptase?  Thank you

• steve-dragoo

May 3, 2022 at 2:52 am

@trueswing

Amazon 120,000 SU

• steve-dragoo

December 1, 2022 at 11:35 pm

@amit

Sorry Amit I just saw your question.  This new format is not working well for us, I think.

Yes I take the Serra all at once – pure.  It is generally considered safe up to 1,000,000 SU’s daily but much larger doses have been given for short term use.

Stay well…
        Steve

• amit

December 2, 2022 at 1:25 am

Thanks Steve

• christopher-leather

May 11, 2022 at 12:12 pm

we have Nutra medix brand serrapeptase/ its 1000 mg per capsule. Which brand are you using`? and natto ? ever try eating natto? think one would need to eat quite a bit to get to a good fibrin eating one!

anyone use wobenzym? Saw good write up from 2005

Much thanks!

• steve-dragoo

May 11, 2022 at 11:21 pm

@christopher194678
        Hi – if you were asking me, it helps if you use the screen name so I would get alerted.

Serrapeptase is measured in SU if anything else is with it, it is a waste of money. Both the serra and natto I usually buy through Amazon and no I don’t eat natto but take it daily with breakfast.  Hope that helps.

Stay well…
        Steve

• linallbert

May 3, 2022 at 3:58 pm

My husband takes ofev 2x a day. He had some diarrhea but we think is was because of having dental work with a lot of antibiotics. So far he’s doing good again. Never heard of those other two meds

• linallbert

May 3, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Has anyone had luck with taking just ofev?

• Millie

May 4, 2022 at 1:11 pm

I was taking serrapeptased but stopped it to begin ofev. It seems that they are both blood thinners and I was afraid to be taking both at the same time. I liked serrapeptase very much for it’s scar dissolving ability. My doctor never heard of serrapeptase. I was also doing deep tissue massage on my back plus cupping. My dose was 80,000 u 3 times a day. Has anyone taken both at the same time with no ill effects. I’d like to hear about it. I only took this for 6 weeks—-so not enough time to evaluate its success. I would say 6 months would be a better timeframe.

• steve-dragoo

May 4, 2022 at 5:34 pm

@zebra4018

Hi Millie,

Serrapeptase is a blood cleanser and is not a blood thinner but you always want to error on the safe side because it should never be taken anywhere close to other pills or food. I don’t know the impact or interactions with meds that slowly dissipate in the body.

Stay well,

Steve

• Millie

May 5, 2022 at 9:46 am

My pulmonologist knows nothing about it. Dr Axe, a naturopath, says it may increase the risk for bruising and bleeding especially when taken with a known blood thinner which ofev is. What is your source of information on this? Does anyone else have any comments or knowledge.

• steve-dragoo

May 5, 2022 at 10:20 pm

Dr Axe is not somebody I follow and you can search the net for a wide variety of responses but after using Serrapeptase 4.5 years very successfully I am glad I discovered it.

Remember that almost all cautions I have read use the word “may” cause – whatever… Similar to an attorney doing a basic CYA. You must decide for yourself and when I started I was concerned so I started with a much lower dose. My reasoning is simple, IPF will kill me anyway and at 73 I am willing to test out the research I do on myself.

• diane-b

May 11, 2022 at 9:15 am

Oh boy…thanks for sharing that.  I had my husband start taking the serrapeptase , I think, back in 2016.  I think I had been taking it even before then, but I forget what for.  I think he takes it in the a.m. with his other meds. I keep hearing of cough and mucus and until just recently he has never had mucus issues…a cough sometimes but not at night when he is asleep.  He takes a bunch of stuff along with OFEV.

• Millie

May 6, 2022 at 8:13 am

I didn’t realize you were using it for that length of time. Please don’t be so defensive. I’m searching for reliable information on this. Dr. Axe is a well-known and widely respected doctor. Do you use the serrapeptase in combination with the ofiv? That, for me, can be the game changer. If so, what is your dose of the serrapeptase? I was doing the deep tissue massage on my back and the cupping on my back because they, also, help break up scar tissue. It was my little experiment to provide a little bit of a kick to the serrapeptase. Some things are a little scary for me because I’ve never been sick or had any major illnes until this.

• steve-dragoo

May 6, 2022 at 6:47 pm

@zebra4018

Millie,

I have no idea what you are talking about – defensive. All I have done is try my best to be specific and direct because anything we try can be risky. I am aware of Axe and many other doctors that I do review but my opinion is to collect all the useful information I can and make a decision on what I know.  Also for safety and updates, I generally review all the stuff I take about twice per year.

These forums have been invaluable in new discoveries and you may want to look at those on using a laser as well. I did until I came to the Philippines and still would but they don’t have the right type here in this country and I had the director of the Medical Missionary school we graduated from search for me as he is a native and very well connected.

I mentioned in earlier posts I don’t take Ofev. But if I was stateside I would look into Esbriet – light dose with my VA pulmonologist. Serrapeptase I started slow but it worked so (surprising) fast in my case that after reading several articles there are no real contraindications up to 1,000,000 SU. I started at about 240,000 SU and have gone as high as 840,000 SU when I was suffering from an acute exacerbation, for the last several months 720,000 SU.

Since I am 73 next Saturday and more than 5.5 years into IPF (and other issues because of IPF and other illnesses), I will try anything I can vet properly.

Stay well,
      Steve

• Millie

May 9, 2022 at 9:42 am

This is for you, Steve. After taking serrapeptase for over 5 years, have you found that it has reduced the scarring in your lungs? I went off the serrapeptase after 6 weeks because I had the opportunity to try ofev free of charge. It is a very expensive rx otherwise. I need to give it at least 6 months or until my pulmonologist does another scan to see how it is working for me. In my case, time is of the essence. I had this PF without symptoms for at least 3 years before I became aware of it. I am old and feel that I don’t have a lot of time to play around with experiments of my own doing. Would love to but as we all know, we have to make tough decisions and do what we think is in our best interest.

• steve-dragoo

May 9, 2022 at 11:52 pm

@zebra4018

Millie, I have taken serra 4.5 years so far and there is no direct evidence I am aware of that it reduces lung scar tissue – other scar tissue probably according to a couple of white papers I have seen.

If I was on Ofev or Esbriet, I would not stop taking serra but that is just me at 73 and little to lose in trying at this point, not a recommendation (disclosure)…

Stay well,
        Steve

• Millie

May 10, 2022 at 12:55 pm

So what is the benefit of serrapeptase for you? You also take another enzyme, don’t you. It starts with the letter “n.”

• steve-dragoo

May 11, 2022 at 2:39 am

Serr knocks out my mucus and nattokinase is a blood cleaner.

• dianaj

November 25, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Hi Millie. Does the cupping/deep tissue massage help with your breathing? Thank you.

• Millie

December 6, 2022 at 4:39 pm

I don’t really have breathing problems so I can’ answer that. I use oxygen for exercise and when walking. Even when my oxygen drops, I feel fin eand am not out of breath The cuppng and deep tissue massage were to help break up the scarring along with serrapeptase.

• steve-dragoo

May 6, 2022 at 6:57 pm

@zebra4018

“A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.”…

• Millie

May 7, 2022 at 8:38 am

That is where my concern lies-taking both ofev and serrapeptase together. Is there anyone out there who does this. Please let me know if you do and if you’ve had problems from doing so. Thanks for the info Steve. You have ben very helpful.

• neha

May 10, 2022 at 3:09 pm

Hi Millie, our non profit, Pulmonary Fibrosis NOW!, has an ongoing clinical study  examining the effects of serrapeptase and nattokinase in people with IPF. A majority of the participants enrolled were already taking esbriet or ofev. All patients are under the care of their pulmonologist and so far we have not had any patient discontinue due to drug interactions or side effects. I must add that the enzyme supplements are taken on an empty stomach either 2 hours after or 1 hour before their meal and/or other medications. We will be happy to share the results on this forum once the study is completed and published, hopefully by the end of this year. Meanwhile, hope you are able to find something that works for you and helps you.

• steve-dragoo

April 24, 2023 at 12:07 am

@shahnn

Hi Neha,

I just saw the study going on with serrapeptase.  Do you have any results to share? Please use my screen name (like yours above) so I will get notified.

stay well…
        Steve

• donald-salzberg-md

May 10, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Hello

I had looked into Serrapeptase (SP) in the past. I’m on OFEV 150mg 2x/day for 3.5 years and very stable on HDCT/PFTs. SP is totally broken down by the stomach unless it is enteric-coated, otherwise likely useless. Recommended dosage is 10-60 mg/day (20,000-120,000 units).  Very little evidence it’s helpful for ⬇️Pulmonary Fibrosis. Lots of warnings for those with liver issues and those on blood thinners, fish oil, aspirin etc. Best to take on an empty stomach. What interests me is the potential to reduce mucus which makes me quite hoarse. As a physician our Hippocratic oath is “do no harm.” Steve I would just recommend keeping a close look at your LFTs (liver function tests). Does anybody know which brand (s) of Serrapeptase are enteric-coated? I’m considering this b/o mucous.   Everybody’s IPF progresses at their own rate but CLEARLY OFEV & Perfenidone slow down the rate of progression. Good luck out there. I may give SP a try.

Don Salzberg MD

• dianaj

November 25, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Hi. Did you happen to come across issues with developing pneumonia while taking Serrapeptase? I am not reading anything about that from anyone here on this forum, yet when I do a google search, the information is there.

• scott-b-burns

May 10, 2022 at 4:39 pm

I have been using both daily for 4 years.

• linallbert

May 10, 2022 at 5:52 pm

So you are taking all 3 and doing ok

• will-gale

May 10, 2022 at 11:18 pm

Hi I am 85 years of age and was lass year June 2021 diagnosed with IPF and immediately placed on Olev 150mg twice per day. All seemed well until November 2021 when I noticed a distinct lack of appetite and intense body itching which was treated with antibiotic cream. By January I was totally lacking appetite and frequently vomiting Dr reduced dosage to 100mg twice day and ordered blood tests alarm set in when the blood test revealed that my liver function was being attacked the GGT level had risen from regular 35mm/ to 350mm/. the Dr ordered the cessation of Olev and at present my GGT levels have reduced to 150mm/. I have got my appertite back and am feeling quite well, my breathing function has been checked and I am on a nightly breathing assist mask. Will return to Dr at end of June but at this stage thing I will give Olev a miss as the cure is worse than the disease. Will Gale

• musicismagic

October 25, 2023 at 1:39 pm

Hi, Will,

Interesting to hear of your experience with OFEV. I tried OFEV at two different doses but by the 4th day each time I was having severe nausea and then vomiting to the point of dry heaves for hours.

Didn’t get in to have liver enzymes checked tho.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jan

• diane-b

May 11, 2022 at 12:08 am

I purchase serra for my husband.  I believe it is Doctors Best.  I am thinking he goes back and forth between 120,000 and 240,000.  Im not sure.  He takes both OFEV and serra .  Has been on  serra for several yrs. now.  OFEV maybe a yr or two.

• steve-dragoo

November 29, 2022 at 10:57 pm

@amit

Hi Amit,

A short note about Serrapeptase – NEVER EVER take it with other pills as it will dissolve them fast. Did that with Niacin once – wish I hadn’t!

I have used Serra successfully for 4 years at 720,000 SU’s daily in the evening before bed no other pills empty stomach.

Natto is a blood cleaner and used it for several years too among a handful of other supplements.

Hope that helps.

Stay well…
    Steve

• cecil-zlotnick

December 31, 2022 at 1:09 pm

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with ILD in November last year.  A CT scan revealed that 35% of my lungs were scarred.  At the time I was not on oxygen and led a normal life.  In February, my pulmonologist started me on Esbriet.  Because of the side effects I could only tolerate 2 X 267mg 3 times a day instead of the recommended 3 X 267mg 3 times a day.  My health seemed unchanged until August when I had an exacerbation, landing me on oxygen and prednisone plus anti-biotics, in hospital. 6 days later I was back home, feeling better, off oxygen and being weaned off the Prednisone. I continued with the Esbriet.  A CT scan done at the hospital showed no further deterioration of my lungs.

However early this month I experienced breathing problems and my % oxygen dropped to 75% from 93%.  A CT scan was done and found that I had lost another 25% of lung capacity and am now on oxygen full time.  I also can’t exercise even with oxygen, without being out of breath.  I have upped my Esbriet dosage and am taking 30mg of Zinc at night.

I have just discovered the Serrapeptase medication and have started it right away.    I’d like to know whether anyone else is taking Esbriet and Serrapeptase at the same time and what results have been obtained.  Is scarring being removed?  What dosage of Serrapeptase is taken, etc.

I am terrified that the progression of my fibrosis will continue at the same high rate and am looking for a way to slow or stop it.  Any advice would be very welcome.

Regards,

Cecil

• steve-dragoo

April 26, 2023 at 1:12 am

@cecilzlotnick

Hi Cecil,

Not sure if anyone answered you.  I have been taking Serrapeptase for almost 5 years.  But I strongly tell you NEVER take it close to any other pills or food.  It dissolves those faster than normal.  That can be really bad news with other pills (ask me how I know) and a waste if taken with food.

I slowly ramped up to 840,000 – 960,000 SU’s in 2 doses. Since I eat twice a day figuring out when to take it is no problem.  I recommend an enteric coat so stomach acid doesn’t dissolve it.  Usually, I drink a lot of water so I know it goes to my small intestine somewhat.

I started it to slow/stop mucus initially and it worked well for that. Rather it reduces scar tissue or not in the lungs is unknown but it has been used for the liver and external scarring for decades.

You might want to look into Lumbrokinase and Nattokinase – which I take but be cautious. Lumbro is similar to Serra so I take it by itself usually.

Stay well…
      Steve

• hughl

November 2, 2023 at 4:23 pm

I take Esbriet

• Lee

June 1, 2023 at 8:33 am

I use both. Nattokinase at the 2,000 FU potency and Serrapeptase at 120,000 SPU.
    I’ve used both for awhile among other things and I have recovered my health greatly. I was diagnosed three years ago with advanced IPF and only 30% remaining lung function. I was on 6 liters of oxygen and unable to walk 20 steps. I never took the antifibrotic pharmaceuticals but have taken several herbal and mushroom types for improving lung function I have recovered significant lung function through lifestyle, exercise, nutrition and breathing exercises. I walk 4 miles a day now WITHOUT oxygen and exercise in a gym and ride a a bike and swim. I wrote a book about my recovery called A Matter of Life and Breath. It’s available on Kindle for less than $5. All profits go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation. Send me a message to discuss more if you’d like.
    Lee

• lee8

October 18, 2023 at 12:52 pm

hello, that is quite amazing. were you taking any other supplements? what did your doctors say about your good change in health?

• Carol

November 10, 2023 at 10:37 am

@Lee

I just received your book yesterday and going through some of the nutrition section you mention how good beets are. Just wondering what you take. I’ve tried the SuperBeets powder but miss it a few times and now it’s hard as a rock! It has to be used in a certain amount of time or it gets out of condition. If I used it every day it wouldn’t be a problem. Do you buy an organic juice or do you juice your own.

I’m anxious to read more of your book. Thanks for sharing your story. My IPF is not severe but I have had to quit my job. I’m not on oxygen yet and would like not to have to use it for a long while. I’ve had two knees replaced in the last two years which were successful so now I’m just trying to get reconditioned. After the last surgery it was going great until I got pneumonia and that added to my lung disease. I couldn’t walk 20 steps without being out of breath. It’s much better now but still not great. Anyway, thanks for everything!

Carol

• peggy-ross

October 21, 2023 at 3:45 pm

Glad to make a connection, as I experienced major improvement within an a few weeks of starting the enzymes, following my own research, but discontinued them because of interactions with Warfarin. Have never taken prescription meds for HP, biopsy diagnosed after 2 yrs of doc unable to distinguish IPF or HP. Referral to UCSF, same result. My pulmonologist said it is too late 4 Ofev or Esbriet to do any good. So I just enjoy the wind blowing through the falling leaves in the neighbor’s yard. At 86, recovering from a crushed rt. shoulder, my only complaint is that I was never guided 2 the correct doses of the only pills that were helpful. Your post is encouraging, Lee. I believe your good health is due primarily to the enzymes, good diet, and good attitude. Any info you can add about dosage? I am encouraged to start back on my own course, dump the Warfarin, and again fight the fibrosing that appears to have me sidelined. If I may ask, do you think age could be a factor in your successful recovery of function? Please keep us posted. Your progress is inspiring. #

• Lee

October 25, 2023 at 6:02 pm

My physician convinced me to write my book, and she wrote the foreword to the book.

I take other supplements, such as Dr. Paul Noble of Cedars-Sinai recommended zinc protocol with resveratrol and NAD+.

• steve-dragoo

November 7, 2023 at 11:12 pm

I have used both for several years and it just depends on why you want them. Serrapeptase has been around for a long time to help with liver scar tissue and the hope is it can do similar to the lungs – but there is no evidence of that. I started it 5 years ago because of a growing mucus problem and it almost immediately solved most of it. You can NEVER take it close to food or especially other meds as that can be dangerous (meds). Natto is a good blood cleaner and the Japanese have eaten it for centuries as fermented soy or tofu. It is a blood cleaner – not thinner. If you are taking D3 and with K2 most likely you are getting some natto depending on the K2 type. I do take all of those and more because I am on my own medically in the Philippines with IPF. Had it 7 years and doing pretty good at 74.5 years with other issues as we all have.