• ross-harris

March 26, 2020 at 5:15 pm

There are only two drugs approved for the treatment of IPF in the United States. One is Esbriet (pirfenidone) and the other is OFEV (nintedanib). Esbriet requires a dosage escalation over a couple of weeks before settling down to three doses a day. OFEV is two doses daily at the same time each day. Both drugs are very expensive. You might ask your doctor why he prescribes one drug over the other.

• Charlene Marshall

March 26, 2020 at 7:46 pm

@joeyf36

Hi Joe,

This is a good question, although I don’t believe there are any drugs available test to test the effectiveness of ‘curing’ / stoping COVID-19.  I don’t believe, but I could be wrong. Likely PF patient’s can’t try it because of possible drug interactions with our anti-fibrotics, which Ross listed above (thank you @cimarronkid ) or we have another dangerous co-morbidity/disease that could alter the effectiveness of the drug in those who are healthy. These are all just guesses of course, but I suspect they will be wanting to test it in the most optimal population, which are those who are healthy. Hope you’re keeping as well as possible.

Charlene.