A Cell-Killing Strategy to Slow IPF & the Natural Aging Process?

• A Cell-Killing Strategy to Slow IPF & the Natural Aging Process?

Posted by Charlene Marshall on March 15, 2019 at 9:10 am

Occasionally I come across studies, or have news articles and links sent to me as the forum moderator of this site. I am really grateful for this, because it gives me an opportunity to share these with you, our wonderful forum members.

A beloved member of our forums emailed me THIS ARTICLE which was published last month. The focus was on delaying the aging process, but the same strategy for this showed some progress is slowing down the development of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) disease progression. Verbatim from this article, you’ll note the relevance to our disease:

“All 14 patients suffered from a fatal, hard-to-treat lung condition called idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, which explains why they were willing to participate in the experiment. The doctors found that nine doses of the two pills over three weeks did seem to improve patients’ ability to walk a bit farther in the same amount of time, and several other measures of well-being”

“In idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, senescent cells build up in the lungs. In previous tests on mice, a combination of dasatinib and quercetin, which is a plant pigment, had been shown to eliminate such cells and extend the time the animals remained healthy (although it didn’t make them live longer)”

The purpose of my sharing this article if purely for informational gain, we at Pulmonary Fibrosis News cannot and do not endorse this study or information shared in the article.

The results or gains of this study still seem quite far from being applicable to humans, nor does it seem like it’ll be a concrete solution for those of us living with IPF, because it focuses on living healthy longer not extending our lives. That said, the longer I can live healthier with this disease, the better!

What are your thoughts on this article? 

It looks like this strategy could be used to treat those with serious illnesses, like IPF and chronic kidney disease, then will be considered for healthy people to slow the aging process. What are your thoughts on it being used to slow the natural process of aging, something many of us will be robbed of due to IPF? 

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Deleted User

March 17, 2019 at 12:04 pm

@charlene-marshall It’s very difficult (too difficult) to answer to your 2 questions for me …

We are seeing more and more studies and articles related to PF. It looks that research is accelerating focus on these kind of recently discovered diseases we are suffering, which is a very good sign. It is probably a consequence of technology progress, today’s computers have nothing comparable to the ones we were using 10 years ago, and Artificial Intellegency promises, I am sure, some very great surprises. It is also due to great job done by so many groups of people trying to communicate to authorities the sense of urgency looking at the huge number of people suffering and dying each year. Great Job.

We are here because we are eager to know more, to keep hope discovering good news, but …
    Having said that, It is difficult for simple people / patient like me, with poor medical culture, to understand correctly what this article is explaining and what could be the impact for us short term / middle term / long term. Behind the hope that we all have, we know also how long it is to develop a drug from fundamental research to our neighborhood pharmacy (from 10 to 15 years).

I believe that it could be an an extraordinary contribution on our forum / research and development group if scientists / doctors could participate and help us to understand by explaining or summarizing this kind of articles with simple, understandable by everybody words. I do know that it is not so easy but it could help a lot of us.

I’m afraid I didn’t answer to your questions 😉
    Warm hugs to all of you
    Jean-Michel

• Charlene Marshall

Organizer
    March 17, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Hi Jean-Michel,

No problem – you did great! Even more than understanding the science and research behind this recent development, is the hope that all of us can feel from the researchers dedicated to finding a cure for our disease. For me, that is what was most exciting about this article, as I don’t understand it fully either 🙂 It just makes me feel good knowing that folks are out there dedicated to helping us, I just hope they understand the urgency and why moving forward as quickly, but as efficiently as possible, is important.

Lots of promising research is going on that is for sure, and I simply hope that something emerges soon to help all of us more than the current medical regimen for IPF/PF.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend and as always, thanks for writing. It’s awesome to hear from you!
    Charlene.