Use of Aspirin.

• Use of Aspirin.

Posted by Jofac O'Handlin on April 5, 2023 at 9:12 am

Hello all,
    I posted a comment on the use of aspirin on the IPF News ‘Research and development’ site, saying that I was going to start with low dose, 75mg, gastro resistant tablets.
    Being aware of the Gastro-intestinal (GI) risks of taking aspirin in as a prophylactic, I thought, ‘is there another mechanism of administration’.
    After some internet searching, I found that yes it has been investigated. A small trial using an aspirin paste preparation applied to tbe forearm, several days, while monitoring aspirin in the blood. Yes it worked, transfering at a slower absorbtion rate than tablets would. However, the GI irritation risks were equal to the oral route. I seems that it is the blood levels that have an effect on the GI tract mucosa making ulcers and intestinal damage just as likely.
    I am in week 2 and intend to continue with caution. Monitoring gut sensations and stool colours. Also, note that I am on Nintedanib 2 x 100mg daily.
    Will report progress.
    Regards to all fellow IPF friends,
    Joe

Steve Dragoo replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Steve Dragoo

April 6, 2023 at 10:24 pm

@jofac-ohandlin

Hi Joe,

I’ve been taking baby aspirin enteric coated for a very long time.  After a white paper was published here sometime last year, I increased to 3 baby aspirin 2x with no noticeable side effects and I take many other supplements as well.

Stay well…
    Steve

• Jofac O'Handlin

April 13, 2023 at 1:54 pm

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi Steve, I missed the paper that you refer to, I only caught the study on mice that appeared on this site at the end of February (?). Is it the same paper or a different test. If different do you have a link.</p>
    I have will have completed 3 weeks on my trial next Monday. Presently taking 75 mg coated tablets 3 times each day. Building up slowly. Next week propose to increase to 4 x 75 mg per day. Aspirin is not recommended for the elderly. So, at 81 I am proceeding with caution.

I have felt certain limited benefits. The first was reduced abdominal sensations,  possibly the blood viscosity reduction due to the aspirin. I am aware that any small feeling of improvement could be attributed to the placebo effect, psychosomatic!! maybe!   As one with no co-morbidities being in otherwise in good health I am comfortable to try this experiment.

With the spring weather (norther hemisphere), and a new straw to clutch onto, I have felt more positive, after a very low period mid January when due to an exacerbation I was obliged to go onto 24 hour O2.

Regards to all, Joe

• Steve Dragoo

April 13, 2023 at 10:43 pm

@jofac-ohandlin

Yes I consider the placebo effect on all I take but that would wear off over time as ”reality” sets in.

Having worked in medical in the USN, I try to be acutely aware of mental/physical changes but at best those will be subjective for several reasons.  The progressiveness of IPF seems to slowly affect the brain and of course, can stimulate some fear or remorse.  I wade through those as fast as possible.

I am currently in an exacerbation, too.  Lovely aren’t they?  The first one 2.5 years ago was extreme and took me well over 6 months to recover – never fully.

With metformin, I cannot speak to any impact on IPF, perhaps it has minusculely slowed the progression but I have no real feeling or evidence either way.

I was developing a mucus problem 4.5 years ago but discovered Serrapeptase – it almost completely has eliminated the problem except if sick or in an exacerbation.  If you are considering it, there are very important cautions when using it. NEVER and I mean NEVER take it anywhere close to other medications (I wait at least 3 hours and prefer 4) because it dissolves protein (pills/food). Did that too close to Niacin once – wish I hadn’t done that. Same for close to food as it is wasted dissolving food instead of going into the small intestine where it is more easily absorbed.

Regards the Aspirin White Paper – I did not keep it but I think the same or very similar to the original was what you read.  You can ask an administrator on the forums here for help finding it.

Stay well…
    Steve

• Steve Dragoo

April 13, 2023 at 10:46 pm

@jofac-ohandlin

Hi Joe,

I just posted a long answer here but it looks like it disappeared.  Please let me know if you can see it.  Otherwise, I will try to recreate it for you.

Stay well…
    Steve