6 Pulmonary Fibrosis Complications

According to the Mayo Clinic, though no current cure for pulmonary fibrosis exists yet, medications and other treatment options can help improve a patient’s quality of life.

As the disease evolves, several complications may arise. Here is a list of six possible pulmonary fibrosis complications:

shutterstock_396426208

1. High blood pressure in the lungs: Unlike normal high blood pressure, this condition is different because it only affects your lung’s arteries. It begins when the smallest arteries and capillaries are compressed by scar tissue, causing increased resistance to blood flow in your lungs. This creates pressure within the pulmonary arteries and the right ventricle, and can result in the development of pulmonary hypertension.

Here are 4 things you can do to help prevent pulmonary fibrosis.

• Tim Bossie says:

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. PF is a terrible disease that affects more than just the person who suffers with it.

• Rachel says:

Lost my daddy to it on 7/1/14 8 months post diagnosis. It’s an awful thing to watch. I’m sure more awful to experience. ♡

1. Elaine says:

Lost my Mom last June to this disease…….her Liver could not tolerate the Ofev……That was the last option ……..

2. James Hall says:

I am apparently one of the rare breed. My oldest brother passed from IPF 7 years ago. Just this week I was diagnosed with IPF. My pulmonary doctor has talked to me about medical treatment and lung transplant. Unfortunately, I have other medical issues that may make the treatment as dangerous as the disease. So the doctor has told me hold off on making any decisions until I talk with my cardiologist, vascular surgeon, and family because of the great risk I already have for stroke and the medications possibly increasing the risk.

• Theresa says:

Hi James.
      I am so sirry to hear of your story. It must be very frightening.
      Did dictors tell you anything about it being in families?
      My father died in 1996 of PD.
      Over a year ago, my brother was diagnosed with PF. He was given 2 years.
      We have all had tests.
      My brother was first diagnosed with RA.
      I have an autoimmune disease.
      My sister has been cancer free for two years.
      Thank you.

3. Deepa says:

I lost my father to it on 24 th dec 2014 i have seen him toed toboxygen cylinders strugling to breathe hopefully now he is at peace this is dreaded disease

4. Iliad says:

Positive is the relief! Yes and prayers!
    So sorry for all your losses may they all be at peace.
    However bad it can get why me, I am going to be Ok! I don’t want to read negatives! I want to remain positive for only God knows!

• Gigi Frank says:

Arn’t there drugs like morphine to help a person breathe better and feel less anxious
      Gigi
      New pt. Age 71, just about ready for oxygen

5. Joe Bailey says:

My Dad died of sclaraderma in 1985…They told me that it wasn’t hereditary…My breathing is hard especially AFTER I eat…I can do most things but my breathing is shallow due to A-fib. When I eat, even small amounts, my breathing is compromised severely…It’s a shame that instead of coming out with drugs that have so many side effects, they don’t concentrate on cures for the ones we have…I’m 75 and have my BP under control; and have worked with a lot of chemicals during my work years…these companies don’t care if they kill people…just $$$$$$$

6. Judi says:

Is there a drug available in Australia please and if so what is it please?. I take Methotrexate and Prednisolone for my autoimmune disorders. I’m only in my mid 60’s and want to stay alive as long as possible.

• Brenda says:

Hi I have been put on(Pirfenex) better known as Pirfenidone, and it is going well so far. It has been placed on the PBS here in Australia and now I only pay $6.80. I was paying over $300.00 before it was approved. I am doing ok at the moment. I am also in my early 60s so am hoping for more good news in the future. I wish you well and you should talk to your Doctors about putting you on this drug.

• Stephen Griffin says:

Hi Brenda i live at Australia also thank you for the heads up on drug you are taking will see my GP this week.Just wondering have you had any side effects from taking Pirfenex ?
        Kind regards
        Steve.

7. Claudia says:

Hi I been diagnosticated with PF a month ago I’m 42 years old and don’t know how I end up with this diseases I’m very confused I’m not on a treatment yet I don’t know why since time is the worst enemy for this diseases

8. Ray Hastings says:

I have PF aubxw 2009 teated with Espert for about 2 years. I feel that it has slowed the progression of the disease but has not cured it. The thing we al need to know is that that a large amount of research is being conducted and some very promising cures ae being identified. we need to look forward to a future that will eventually come to us when the cure is found. some things that have helped me
    1. regular exercise
    2. Esbert
    3. cardiac rehab
    4. trying to enjoy what life i have left including time with my 18 month grandson
    5. Oxygen treatment. I have switched to an income O2 concentrator and a portable unit for traveling. it is so much better than trying to use O2 tanks.

try to stay positive . being depressed and negative willl not help you get thru this.

• Claudia Rodriguez says:

U have PF or IPF? Bc I was told that Esbriet is for patients with IPF only since PF is couse by a autoimmune disease

9. Larry says:

I’m 80 yrs, and I have IPF also since 3/2014, been on OFEV since July 2015 so far my lung test have been holding steady, I go for another evaluation on the 21 of this mo. I pray that all’s the same. If their is any real positive aspect of this disease it gives you a chance to look over your life and help you appreciate the goodness of others and offer sympathy for those who feel they need more than they do. We cannot bring with us the material things of this earth only the road remembered by those who remain when we pass to then next phase of HUMAN existence. If you are a believer, believe and HE will help you thru this passage, so far it has helped me. AMEN GOD BLESS

10. Marjorie Madge says:

My partner has been diagnosed with IPF and has been put on pirfenidone which is making him feel very nauseous most of the time He has also lost his appetite and struggles to eat a balanced diet, is this something that will improve or is it for keeps?

11. Bob says:

Marjorie, unfortunately the disease is forever, talk with your Dr. about appetite. Research is finding interventions all the time that may help.

12. Tim Waggoner says:

Marjorie, I was diagnosed with IPF in 2012. I was put on pirfenidone October 2016 and had the side effects you mentioned. After about 2 months my pulmonologist took me off it for two weeks and restarted it at a lower/slower dosage and I was able to tolerate it after reaching the normal dosage 3 capsules 3 times daily since then. In the mean time I lost 45 lbs. I will advise anyone on this drug to take it with food.
    I live in the USA. As I read the comments on this site, I often wonder where the commenters are from. Since there are different treatments, etc. it would help if everyone mentioned their place of residence. As an example, my insurance company lists Pirfenidone annual costs as $96,000.00. I can only afford to have this drug because a foundation provides the funds for me.