Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PF 30 Days of PF: Choosing Not to Get ‘On the List’

• 30 Days of PF: Choosing Not to Get ‘On the List’

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on September 22, 2021 at 5:00 pm

Rand O’Brien began feeling short of breath one day when he reached his third-floor office. He was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis four weeks later by his pulmonologist. A second confirmation of the diagnosis came six months later. He was urged to get “on the list” for a lung transplant.

Initially he said yes, yet, having been a psychotherapist for 45 years, Rand was used to dealing with the possibilities of people’s deaths on the daily. He wondered “Just because we can, should we?” during one of his daily walks in the woods with his dog, Ruby.

For Rand, death is a part of life, something not to fear, but rather to accept. He also learnt that the life expectancy for a 73-year-old after transplant was one to two years. At age 72, he had his answer.

Deciding against a transplant has freed Randy to his own life. He feels lighter. He is looking forward to the life he has with little anxiety, and knowing “what is going to happen, it’s just gonna happen.”

Wow, Rand, your story – and wisdom – is truly inspiring.

I have to admit it, Rand’s story has hit me hard! What are your thoughts, PF Community?
    Rand’s story is on our Instagram! Go check it out and do give us a follow so you don’t miss out on any #30DaysofPF stories. We are so humbled, daily, and this story is simply incredible. And Ruby, a proper cutie!

gratefuldeb replied 1 year, 2 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • gratefuldeb

February 1, 2023 at 4:00 pm

I also chose not to “get on the list”.  I am not frightened of dying.  I am at peace with the idea and I am working towards making the rest of it the best I can.  I’ve lived with this since 2008 and it has progressed over the years.  I’ve lived a fantastic life and I am ready for more.

Namaste,
    GratefulDeb