Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Arizona Summertime heat

• Arizona Summertime heat

Posted by Teri Kerwin on July 8, 2023 at 8:40 am

I’ve lived in the Phoenix suburbs since 1990. The summer here is brutal, it can and does kill healthy people each year, just from the intense heat. So I stay inside, with the air conditioning and drinking lots of water.

Now that I have IPF, I find it’s even harder to live through these summers. We’re expecting 116° on Monday (July 10th), and it’s only predicted to go higher after that.

I get daily headaches, my lack of energy is worse than ever, not to mention the air quality gets so much worse that people with respiratory issues are warned to stay inside. So, cooped up in the house, I am and will stay.

So, How do you deal with your summer heat in your part of the country? I thought suggestions and sharing ideas might help us all deal with this. What do you do to cope?

Cheryl thomas replied 9 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Mary Black

July 11, 2023 at 4:03 pm

I, too, stay inside as I find it difficult to catch my breath when outdoors.

• Terri

July 11, 2023 at 5:10 pm

I stay inside too. I also have heart issues that are affected by the heat. I do sit on my deck for a few minutes throughout the day to enjoy nature. But I do all my exercise inside. We have a nice treadmill, so that helps, and I also do pulmonary rehab at the local hospital. I’m so glad I live in the Midwest. It gets hot here too, but not like AZ or the South.

• Cheryl thomas

July 11, 2023 at 10:22 pm

I live near Pittsburgh, Pa..we get the heat and humidity..very difficult breathing with this also. I lived in Las Vegas in my younger days and 116 degrees is very hot 🔥 too. I stay inside when hot or poor air quality.