• Posted by Deleted User on November 23, 2022 at 11:01 am

I am new on O2 therapy, I receive my care through the V.A. The respiratory therapist is required to do a arterial blood draw every 6 weeks. I found it VERY painful, in fact she attempted 4 times (2 in the wrist, 2 in the arm) with no success, all in order to find out if I smoke, which I do not. There is a blood lab 30 feet away that does hundreds a day, but she has this machine which will tell her instantly if I am a liar. I have been diagnosed primarily with Restrictive, but also have obstructive. Does anyone else have a problem with how painful this procedure is, and does anyone go to a Lab and have it done?

marian-kremer replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • colin-o-driscoll

November 24, 2022 at 11:00 am

Dear Darrin,

It is painful. I have had it done twice. Since oxygen saturation can be measured with an oximeter on your finger, I asked the nurse what it was for. She said that the oximeter values are not very accurate, particular if your saturation is below normal, and it can be used to measure carbon dioxide build up, which is bad for you and can make you feel out of breath even if your oxygen is ok.

Having said that, every 6 weeks seems a lot. I have had it done twice in a number of years. For me, with PF, it wasn’t routine. Have you asked why?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 25, 2022 at 6:25 am

Thank you for the reply. The check somehow can tell them through the carbon dioxide if you smoke, so the V.A. (government) decided that you have to endure this every 6 weeks, and she informed me that if I don’t comply every 6 weeks, that they will NOT issue me O2. Nightmare, so I will buy my own O2.

• samuel-kirton

November 24, 2022 at 9:24 pm

I have had arterial blood draws several times (2-3) over 4.5 years during testing conducted as part of the pre-transplant qualification process. Yes, the arterial blood gas test is indeed painful. In each case, the draws were done by a Respiratory Therapist. I have never heard of an ABG being done to determine if someone is smoking. This is definitely a question for the member of your care team who ordered the test.

Sam …

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 25, 2022 at 6:22 am

I believe it is a new Regulation, at least with the V.A., that you have to do draws every 6 weeks to prove you are not smoking. It is checked through the carbon dioxide in the blood, and that is what I was actually told by the resp therapist herself. Nightmare, so I think I will just get a prescription to the O2, and pay out of my own pocket, to avoid it. Thank you so much for the reply, I didn’t know if it was just me that thought it is so painful.

• christine-mccann

November 25, 2022 at 12:05 pm

I have mine done at a lab doesn’t hurt a bit.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 25, 2022 at 2:45 pm

I asked the lab tech who also was shocked that the resp therapist was having such a problem, what I have to do is plead with my Pul Dr. to let the lab pull them, the resp tech has a machine there she slaps it in I think, but hopefully I can get in on the lab like you, the lab does hundreds of draws a day, and I think the tech only does a few, if that, that way they can go ahead and draw it as often as they like, I sure am happy you replied, thankyou very much.

• marian-kremer

November 30, 2022 at 1:05 am

I have it done about every 3 months and it is painful. I don’t know if labs do it.