Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Decreasing DLCO……..40-35 %in a month

• Decreasing DLCO……..40-35 %in a month

Posted by Peggy Anderson on November 14, 2022 at 7:53 am

Summer set me back in terms of walking as it was so hot and humid. I had no exacerbations. I believe I did not do the PFT properly for that part properly………will have another PFT in six months. Has anyone had this experience? Also can you pay privately to have a PFT done in Canada.  I live in Nova Scotia….not on oxygen so can travel

Joseph Collins replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Vince Stravino

November 16, 2022 at 9:07 pm

FYI-Unclear if you mean that your DLCO dropped from 40% to 35% or if a total drop of that amount occurred.I had DLCO of 55% nine months ago with a repeat 2 months ago of 68% !
    Lab error? I suspect all tests are variable but the trend and our symptoms and pulmonary function tests must be considered too. A Second opinion pulmonologist suggested to me that the tables for my age,weight, height, may have changed in the interim? Either way, I am more concerned how I feel but I am curious what the next DLCO will be. I try to focus on today and avoid worrying about “what if””….in the future.
    I “train” for my next PFT by practicing the FEV(forced expiratory volume) during the day. and I have ordered a spirometer to hopefully build up my deep breathing and lung expansion but I confess that there are no clear studies that I read proving those benefits for PF patients.Best of Luck.

• Joseph Collins

November 17, 2022 at 8:06 pm

Hi Peggy it is not unusual for the numbers to vary from one PFT to the next. I was diagnosed in early 2014 and have accumulated 14 readings between then and 2022. Here is the DLCO readings I have had over that time. Hope they will be helpful.                                                            11/14~42. 5/15~39. 11/16~36. 11/17~50. 4/18~37. 8/18~55. 3/19~21. 8/19~26. 12/19~25. 6/20~24. 1/21~38. 6/21~30. 12\21~6. 6/22~16

with DLCO being the measurement for oxygen transfer it is one of the important readings. With all the gyrations I still am able to go without oxygen during the daytime. I use supplemental oxygen while sleeping as my oxygen level will drop off during sleep and I want to provide my heart and brain with all the oxygen they need. I have a heart condition also which slows me down too. I was a young and healthy 80 years old when diagnosed with IPF then, 4 years later I added a stent to my heart then 9 months later a second one. I have learned to live zero stamina. I still enjoy life and as long as my mail isn’t being delivered by a gopher I am a happy camper. I have never any of the fibrosis drugs since the onset. I do take Prednisone 15mg. daily. I also have a laser treatment once a week. The laser treatments started just before the 6/18 PFT.