Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities Canadians With PF Dry Skin Relief for Patients with PF.

• Dry Skin Relief for Patients with PF.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on January 21, 2019 at 4:25 pm

I believe I’ve written about a similar topic before, but thought it might be helpful to re-post my question about relieving dry skin for those who might be new to our forums community. Canada is experiencing a terrible deep freeze at the moment, and we’re under an extreme weather warning with evening temperatures dropping to nearly -38 degrees celsius in some locations! For those of us living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), this poses a huge safety risk for our breathing, but also for our skin.

Do any of you suffer from excessively dry skin throughout the winter months?

This seems to get worse for me each winter, and I am sure it is a combination of a few different things: constantly washing my hands to avoid illness, medication side effects and the dryness that is in the air from the cold weather. Regardless of why they seem worse this year, I have to come up with a solution to stop the cracking and bleeding on my hands.

If you suffer from dry skin during the winter: how do you get relief? 

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Smokey

January 23, 2019 at 9:59 am

Watching this one. Something that helps me is ‘Bag Balm’ that I find in women’s makeup and beauty supplies. It is very thick to apply so takes some work. I put it on my hands because they crack and bleed and it usually works.

• Charlene Marshall

January 23, 2019 at 10:01 am

Hi Smokey,

Thanks for your reply to this topic thread – it sure can be a pesky issue, can’t it? My hands are cracked and bleeding which is no fun when I have to wash them all the time due to avoiding germs/illness. I find a really thick paste helpful too, but the name is escaping me right now. It is best applied before bed though so it has time to absorb in overnight. Good to know about your suggestion as well, I’ll keep that in mind!

Hope you’re doing well, and as always, it is great to hear from you!
    Charlene.