• Posted by Mark Koziol on November 12, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Many of our members have questions on the so called “perfect diet” when you have PF. Unfortunately, many of us are either underweight or overweight. Our bodies perform best when we are at our optimum body weight according to our height, age and other demographic information. If you want to be medically eligible for a lung transplant, most centers will not begin your evaluation until you have at least shown you are capable of losing weight in order to meet the BMI requirement. I do think we lose weight easier when we suffer with a disease such as PF. Our bodies appear to work harder than when we are healthy, and because of this we must properly fuel our bodies with balanced meals.

I had to lose 80 pounds in order for me to be eligible for a lung transplant. I completed this by eating 5-6 small meals per day. Coupled with losing weight, I was taking Ofev and had to eat foods that wouldn’t disrupt my gastro intestinal system. Because of my past athletic experience I knew the diet I had to choose and make it my new way of life. Fortunately, it took a devastating disease in order for me to learn to eat well on a regular basis. My friends used to tell me I was the healthiest sick person they knew.

I found two websites that will facilitate your healthy eating while living with PF. The article; “Nutrition and Pulmonary Fibrosis” mirrors the diet I chose and the website; Life with Pulmonary Fibrosis offers nutrition and healthy living tips that I believe would help all persons and not only those inflicted with PF.

Can any of our forum members add further healthy eating tips to this forum topic?

replied 4 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.