Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults Farewell Summer: Mixed Emotions As Seasons Transition

• Farewell Summer: Mixed Emotions As Seasons Transition

Posted by Charlene Marshall on September 28, 2018 at 4:51 pm

I have always been someone who has mixed emotions as summer transitions into autumn. Summer used to be my favourite season, without question, and when it comes to an end, so do the four months when I get to see my family the most at our cottage. It is a bittersweet time as I also love the beauty of fall, however I despise the months of cold, snow and ice that winter brings during the next seasonal transition.

Since my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in early 2016, summer has become difficult for me due to the heat and humidity wrecking havoc on my lungs. So, an even greater part of me is glad that the temperatures are cooling off so that my breathing is better, however I still feel emotionally mixed up as the beautiful memories of summer fade away.

I love spending time with my family, and after the September long weekend, there are not near as many opportunities to do this as there are during the summer months. This is hard for me because as my fatal lung disease progresses, I long for quality moments with family and friends. The idea of seeing my family every few months now that autumn is upon us is upsetting to me, as is the fact that summer vacations are over and the lush beauty of the landscapes are rapidly changing. That said, there are a lot of benefits to autumn as well and I need to remember those. Here are some of the things that I get excited about in the fall, and that I need to remember as I “mourn” the summer memories made this year:

• All things Pumpkin Spice! I love this scent, flavour and taste in many different comforts that come with fall: lattes, candles and baking. I have already had my Pumpkin Spice latte from Starbucks this year, although I’m really noticing how sweet these are and I have to make them only 1/4 the amount of syrup in order to tolerate the taste. Do you find an increased sensitivity to sugar since your IPF/PF diagnosis?

• Changing leaves and beautiful colours. One of my favourite quotes about the fall is: “the trees are about to show us how beautiful it can be to let dead things grow”. I choose to apply this to my life sometimes, and when thinking about the mundane or materialistic things that cause me stress and worry, I am reminded to let all of that go with the season change from summer to autumn. These thoughts are rejuvenating for me!

• Cozy clothes: I am guilty of owning far too many hoodies, pairs of slippers and scarves to keep me warm in the cold weather. Autumn is the perfect season to bundle up with the crisp air and make use of the excessive amount of clothes I have 🙂

Do you struggle with the transition from one season to another? 

What are some things that makes that transition a bit easier? 

replied 5 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.