Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Treatments and Science Medscape – The Future of IPF

• Linda Aiudi

May 2, 2024 at 6:44 am

This is an informative discussion regarding research surrounding medical trials for IPF patients. It provides patients with IPF with an honest insight from a doctors point of view of life expectancy and the hope that there will be new treatments to stop the developement of IPF not just slow the progression.

• Buddy38

May 3, 2024 at 6:02 pm

I read on this website and through other media about many new drugs for IPF. Most of the are in phase 2-3. They have had very good results with a lot of them. But , with the FDA, they will not be available for 5 years. By that time most of us suffering from this disease will be dead!!! Why can’t the more serious cases of IPF have these new drugs now as a last resort!!!

• Janice Ruth Moore

May 4, 2024 at 1:36 am

I do agree – it would at least give hope where is very little at present. The Covid drugs are a good example – they were devised and circulated and taken up by multi millions of people – surely with AI this can be considered earlier?

• debert

June 2, 2024 at 3:34 pm

Great information, however, I agree with the other replies…too long to wait. Why can’t we opt to try some of these treatment options in the later trials.

• JKU

June 4, 2024 at 4:46 pm

The drug company for one of the drugs mentioned in the podcast recently announced they will start the phase 3 trial as soon as they have their max participants enrolled in phase 2b in their attempt to help speed things up. Don’t give up hope. There’s also a possibility of compassionate use for drugs that haven’t gotten to market. Keeping the faith!!

• Larry70

June 12, 2024 at 2:00 pm

(a condensed version of what ChatGPT 4o gave me) ‘There is a lengthy review process after Phase 3 completion that can take several months or longer. For a drug to become available – it typically ranges from 1 to 2 years, depending on a number of regulatory considerations by the FDA and other review processes. For drugs that qualify for expedited pathways like fast track, breakthrough therapy, priority review, or accelerated approval, this timeline can be shortened. This pathway to market is crucial to ensuring that new drugs are both safe and effective when they reach the public. Each step is designed to rigorously test these aspects under regulatory oversight, minimizing potential risks to patients.’

My hope is that my Ofev will keep the progression at a very slow pace and that the phase 3 drugs that have recently been completed may come to market before the disease has advanced too far.

• anonymous

June 13, 2024 at 9:13 pm

The Fibroneer Phase 3 trial ends in November. Its an FDA breakthrough drug (speedier process). According to this “lengthy review process after Phase 3 completion that can take several months or longer” so it should be available early next Spring IF the results show it works as well as it did in Phase 2 (where it worked very well). This is ONE CASE but it does look like this drug MIGHT work well… we shall see in less than a year!

https://6abc.com/temple-lung-center-idiopathic-pulmonary-fibrosis-scar-tissue-breathe/13577878/