• NEW Covid vaccines

Posted by Carolyn Giosia on January 23, 2024 at 3:12 pm

Hello, u have ipf, I am currently taking Ofev and I was recently reminded and instructed by my family physician to get all NEW shots that are available for Covid RSV and the flu. I had first Cocid and Booster back when this started. I’m petrified now that I have IPF to give the new Covid shots, I’m afraid to get any shots, I keep hearing so many nightmares and I’m afraid the new Covid shot will kill me. Has anyone gotten new shots for Covid and are on Ofev with PF? I’d love to hear any stories that anyone can share.

Babe replied 3 months ago 15 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Ceejchris

January 23, 2024 at 10:06 pm

Hi, Carolyn! I’m new here. I just started ofev in Dec. I got the flu shot in late Sept and the covid booster when it was first available, I think that was Aug. I plan to get the rsv vax soon. I had no problems with the flu and covid shots, no bad side effects, but both were before starting ofev. I haven’t heard anything negative about taking the vaxes while on ofev. Maybe someone will respond who has had one or all 3 vaxes while on ofev. My thought is that getting any of the 3 illnesses would be far worse than any short-lived side effects from the vaxes. Personally, I wouldn’t get them all at the same time, though.

Connie

• Pauline Korol

January 25, 2024 at 9:10 am

Hi Carolyn, I also have IPF and have been on Ofev since May of 2020. I have also received all Covid vaccines, boosters and flu shots with no side effects whatsoever. So, please protect yourself by getting the vaccines.

• Alex Howe

January 25, 2024 at 10:00 am

Likewise, I was diagnosed with IPF some years ago, I’m on Esbriet/Pirfenidone, and have had all my Covid vaccinations and boosters, also Flu & Pneumonia vaccines, with no ill effect. I recommend you and others do likewise in order to protect yourselves!

• Ken Monroe

January 25, 2024 at 2:25 pm

I’m on Esbriet and I’ve gotten every COVID vaccine/booster that has come out, plus the annual flu shot and the RSV shot. I’ve had no issues, other than a sore arm for a day.

• Phil Sasser

January 25, 2024 at 2:26 pm

I’ve been diagnosed with IPF for ten years and take Ofev. I get every appropriate vaccine as soon as I can. I’ve never had a problem.

• Terri

January 25, 2024 at 4:46 pm

I have PF and ILD. I started taking Ofev in August 2023, and in the fall of 2023, got the latest COVID, RSV, flu, pneumonia, and tetanus vaccines. I got the shingles vaccine a couple of years ago – that’s a one-and-done. Other than a sore upper arm, I’ve never had a negative reaction to a vaccine.

• Rick

January 25, 2024 at 6:50 pm

I’m on ofev I’ve had all vaccines. No problems.

• Carol

January 25, 2024 at 7:49 pm

Hi Carolyn! I’ve been on Ofev since Aug. 2020. I’ve gotten all the Covid vaccines and boosters as well as all flu shots and the RSV vaccine without any problems.

• Michael B Smith

January 26, 2024 at 8:35 am

I’ve been on OFEV since 2020 and have received all vaccines as soon as they are available with no problems. As those of us with IPF are more at danger from these diseases, the vaccines may save our lives. There is so much misinformation about dangers from vaccines, especially the covid vax. I suggest talking to your pulmonologist if you have questions in ordser to get a valid scientific/medical opinion.

• Denise Stogdill

January 27, 2024 at 5:00 pm

Hi Carolyn, I’ve been diagnosed with IPF since March 2020 and I’ve been taking Ofev for almost 2 years. I’ve done the COVID, FLU and RSV vaccine with no problems. You should be okay.

• Diggerdon

January 27, 2024 at 6:33 pm

Carolyn- I am 75 and have been on Ofev since 2016. I have had all Pneumonia, Flu, RSV, and Covid shots through last Sept. with no unusual side effects. However, while my pulmonologist encourages such inoculations, both my GP and cardiologist recommend I hold off on the current Covid booster due to cardiac and other risks. So far I have had 6 Pfizer and Moderna shots successfully. The doctors suggest I avoid the newer booster until a more severe infection rate occurs in my county, and then take Paxlovid if I get Covid. I am not comfortable with that and have discussed getting a Novavax booster with my GP as it may be more effective against the various evolving strains. (It employs a spike protein common to all strains, and is different chemistry than the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA types that have to be reissued for new strains.) Unless you have cardiovascular issues, I think getting one of the 3 boosters is OK.

Don D.

• Rhonda Kramer

January 30, 2024 at 2:38 pm

Hi, I have IPF and have been on oxygen for 11 years, from a lung injury when I was 57.

I took all the Covid vx two years ago, and still had Covid in November of 2022. Possibly the strain I got was less deadly then the first strain that killed so many, or possibly the vx made it less severe, who really knows? It was rather bad, but I lived (thank God and my Dr). With that being said, when I went to get my RSV vx, my pharmacist was very cautious about recommending the Covid vx out now. He is the best pharmacist I’ve ever had in my entire life, and his caution about it has put me off.

My physician has not recommended the new Covid vx either; and my BIL, who has health problems that are not lung related, was told by his anesthesiologist that he would recommend against it.

• Kim Morrison

January 30, 2024 at 2:49 pm

I have had the Covid vaccine in 2021. I’ve had the flu vaccine every year. I am on ofev now for four years. Got Covid last year. It wasn’t too bad. With that being said I am reluctant to get more vaccines of any kind. Personally I wish I hadn’t let my Dr talk me into the Covid vaccine. I just think it was too new. Also as a nurse I took care of patients with RSV and never contracted it. I already put enough meds in my system and don’t want to add more. I’ll take my chances being cautious

• Babe

January 30, 2024 at 5:56 pm

Kim, I have had 4 Covid shots, the last one in October. I had the flu and rsv shots earlier. In late December I was feeling weary and my oxygen was dropping during the day. No fever, no sore throat, but a bad cough.

I have only needed additional oxygen when sleeping or flying but my oxygen was going down and I needed my portable concentrator. I went to the ER and was told I had Covid. I also take an immunosupressant and could not be given the paxlovid. It was still early enough in the diagnosis that I could have remdesivir which is given in an IV – once daily for four days. I was in the hospital through Christmas. It never got any worse but the cough is hanging on and I will be going in for a 6 minute walk. I feel the October booster kept me from having it worse. I’m going to put my bet on the science.