Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge New to forum, been diagnosed with HP…

• New to forum, been diagnosed with HP…

Posted by maizeblue on November 28, 2023 at 10:53 am

Hi everyone, brand new to this forum. I am a 49 year male, really fit (I think), active and athletic and this past Feb I started to have severe shortness of breath from just even walking up stairs (came on all of a sudden out of the blue without warning). I went through a battery of tests and they kept getting nowhere but my DLCO came in very low which triggered some concerns. After no success with my doctors in CA I opted to go to Mayo where after a few tests they diagnosed with Hypersensitivity pneumonitis – specifically caused my Piegeon Sera (so they think given test came back positive). Ironically I have no history of this in my family nor have I ever owned any pets or spend time around birds so obviously a little bummed. I still push myself very hard in my workouts (Peleton) to stay active and get my heart rate up. I took 5 days of Prednisone this summer and felt great but seems to have progressed back again. I am able to bike but I find that I can not just take my HR from 48 (resting) to 160 instantly, however if I am gradually increase it every couple minutes by 20-30 I can get pretty far up. For context, I am very early in the journey (no lung scarring per HR CT scan 2 weeks ago).

I wanted to see if others on this forum have experienced something similar – specifically regarding birds? There are piegeons everywhere and it’s specifically the pigeon poop (dried out) that seems to trigger this I guess. Any suggestions on other folks that may have had something similar? What changes/lifestyles/remedies have worked? Just looking for some support here. Much appreciated.

maizeblue replied 5 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tammy

November 28, 2023 at 2:28 pm

Hi.I’m 63 yrs,3yrs with ipf.I’m a pet bird rescuer.have had up to 150 ,down to 7.I was told my birds,caused ipf .I don’t believe them.Anytime we’re outside,the critters are around us I did not get of my birds,the damage is done, whatever caused it.My birds are my joy.I wish you well

• William Kim Burnett

November 28, 2023 at 4:08 pm

Hi Maizeblue,

We had a cockatiel for 14 years not sure what caused my IPF. No indoor pets after that, sure loved that bird he has been gone for a long time. Just mentioned as a reverence. Best of luck God Bless.

• maizeblue

November 28, 2023 at 8:57 pm

Thank you for that…did your symptoms go away once you got rid of your bird? Crazy thing is I don’t even a bird and I have been reading that the best remedy is obviously avoidance. Obviously in the grand scheme of things, I am pretty young and a father of 2 young boys (married late) and want to be around for them so I plan to take this very seriously. We did get rid of all feather stuff but curious how far you have to go avoid avain exposure (specifically pigeon poop).