• Posted by Charlene Marshall on February 5, 2019 at 6:38 am

Inevitably, aching muscles and joints are part of the aging process but I recently wondered if idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) accelerates this type of pain in those of us living with the fatal lung disease. I’ve recently mentioned on the forums that I am dealing with a head cold, and potentially some other type of virus as I am feeling a bit of overall malaise as well. Likely, the aching muscles and joints I have right now are due to that virus, but I was curious if other people experience an increased in this type of pain or discomfort since their PF/IPF diagnosis? 

Typically I see a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) on a regular basis to help with overall comfort, and sometimes she works on certain parts of my body if they are sore or tense. Most recently, we’ve been working a lot on my neck and lower back but this week I think I’ll ask her to do some work within my calves. Unusually, they feel quite tight for some reason and I don’t recall doing anything strenuous that could cause such discomfort.

If you experience this unpleasant side effect of IPF/PF, which of your muscles or joints ache the most?

What do you find most effective in relieving this pain?

Pulmonary Fibrosis News published an article on this not too long ago, and you can check it out here if you’re interested in learning more!

I’m curious to hear from you regarding this topic, to see if perhaps this discomfort in my calves is something completely unrelated to IPF, or whether others experience generalized aches and pains within their muscles and joints following their diagnosis as well. Thanks in advance for sharing!

replied 5 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.