Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities Canadians With PF Consuming Cannabis via Inhalation: Considerations for Lung Health

• Consuming Cannabis via Inhalation: Considerations for Lung Health

Posted by Charlene Marshall on July 31, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Recently I was reading a blog on the Canadian Lung Association webpage on the lung health risks of marijuana use. In the blog, the author talks about the upcoming legalization of marijuana use in Canada which has been prevalent in conversations across the country for many months now. While there are ample pros and cons, all of which have been thoroughly examined before the passing of this law; there could be unbeknownst implications to the lung health of those living with respiratory diseases.

One of the more concerning implications of using cannabis comes from the way it is consumed. Smoking cannabis can lead to chronic bronchitis and other lung diseases, according to this full blog but of course, that is not the only way to consume cannabis for those who might really benefit from it. Since the inhalation of smoke from any source can be harmful to the lungs, what might legalizing cannabis mean to those of us living with pulmonary fibrosis (PF)?

As a patient living with PF/IPF, are you concerned about inhaling the secondhand smoke from others consuming cannabis via inhalation? 

Have you ever run into trouble breathing in secondhand smoke from cigarettes? For me, I accidentally inhaled smoke from someone who had a lit cigarette right outside the entrance way to a store and landed in hospital via ambulance as a result. Sadly, this has happened more than once so I do have concerns about inhaling any type of smoke, whether it be from cigarettes, a pipe or marijuana.

Lastly, this blog urges everyone to carefully consider the method of consumption should you choose to use cannabis once it is legalized in Canada. For more information on overall lung health, and the full position statement on the blog included in this post, please visit: http://www.lung.ca

replied 5 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.