Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Scenting Your Home: Candles vs. Essential Oils

• Scenting Your Home: Candles vs. Essential Oils

Posted by Charlene Marshall on August 19, 2018 at 7:11 pm

While I thoroughly enjoy summer, I have had about enough of the high heat and humid days that comes with my once-favourite season. Since my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in early 2016, I think I can now say that my favourite season has changed from summer to autumn. I am very much looking forward to cooler days, cozy sweaters and all-things-fall!

One of my favourite things about autumn are all the different fall scents: pumpkin spice, cinnamon, apple and cloves just to name a few. All of these smells frequent my home throughout the fall season, whether it be through cooking, baking, candles or essential oil blends reflective of my favourite scents. This year however, I am wondering whether or not I should spend money on candles that come out each fall, with the amazing smells of autumn. I always used to, however, that was before my diagnosis of IPF and the use of supplemental oxygen in my home.

Have any of you been told not to burn candles due to the strong aromas since your diagnosis of IPF/PF?

Are candles bothersome to you?

Do you burn candles in your home? 

Aside from the obvious: keeping my oxygen far away from any burning candle, I really don’t want to give up one of my favourite things this autumn that brings my comfort, which is burning strong-scented candles.

I also use essential oils in my home, both as natural cleaning products and to scent/purify/clean the air through an essential oils diffuser. While I have some oils, I don’t have any that include my favourite autumn scents and investing in those oils will be significantly more expensive than a few candles. However, I also realize that I can’t put a price tag on the health of my lungs.

As I ponder this on a Sunday afternoon, I am pleasantly surprised at how my homemade apple cinnamon oatmeal is naturally scenting up the kitchen in the slow-cooker. Its all about the small joys, and fall scents are one of those joys for me. Thanks for reading!

replied 5 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.